Service Battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
This is new to me.. just now saw it.

I had my 2.33/2.5gb ram/120gb HD macbook pro plugged in at work all day today and now while I'm sitting at coffee bean running off of the battery I notice a little "exclamation" next to it... '

"service battery"

This battery itself only has about 35 load cycles on it..

I ran coconut battery and it says the maximum charge my battery can hold is around 4200, down from 5400..

what's happening here?

Do I need to do a reset of some kind somewhere? faulty battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
As the meaning of service the battery, i think its time to calibrate it.
Have a look at this page from  and they will run you through a battery calibration.

Battery Calibration

Hope this helps some

Cheers

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also noticed too that after my laptop sat charging at work. When I packed it up the charger (the charging block ) was warm as well. I don't remember this ever happening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I also noticed too that after my laptop sat charging at work. When I packed it up the charger (the charging block ) was warm as well. I don't remember this ever happening.

Dont think that should be a problem. Im hooked into the wall 24/7 and mine is warm to touch. My battery life is also in very good condition. Just put your efforts into working out the battery problem :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did an SMC reset (removed battery, held down power button for 5 seconds, replaced battery and plugged in the charger)

upon boot up I still have " service battery" as well as the fact that my batter has dropped from 5000mah to 3800mah in 3 hours (total capacity) and typically I'd have about 2 hours of battery life left at 80% and now it says I only have 42 minutes worth of juice.

I may just leave it plugged in to the wall all night (the computer shut off) and see what happens. It is "charging" according to coconut which I guess is a good sign.

Could this just be a Snow Leopard glitch? per the forum I linked you guys up to above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Well, I'd try calibrating your battery as per the link above by tattoedmac.

Secondly, I'd install the update I suggested, as if this is a software related issue, that will rectify it.

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks 6string. I am currently running 1.6.2 so the software update I'm guessing won't do me much good. I'll try the calibration tomorrow while I'm at work and report back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The combo update is structured differently, as well as picking up on any firmware updates that may have been missed, or not installed properly!
Combo updates should be installed over the top of stand alone updates when they come out, as they seem to fix minor glitches a lot of the time.
This was the case also in leopard, tiger, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And looking at your specs...
2.33/2.5gb ram/120gb HD macbook pro
2.33 GHz 2.5GB Ram 120GB HD MBP
2.5Gig of ram?

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
six string, I'll try and do the combo update right now.

Yeah, it's running a 2gb chip and a 512mb chip.. I'm going to put another 2gb chip in here (even though i'll only get 3gb worth).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's inline with this one that I added before:
Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Battery conditions
Also, is it the original battery from 2006 when you got your MBP?
How many cycles do you have on it?

As for the Ram, I'd be matching it personally. Many many not agree, but I feel that unmatched Ram affects the performance.

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's inline with this one that I added before:
Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Battery conditions
Also, is it the original battery from 2006 when you got your MBP?
How many cycles do you have on it?

As for the Ram, I'd be matching it personally. Many many not agree, but I feel that unmatched Ram affects the performance.

The battery itself is about a year old, it's has 35 cycles on it.

my battery capacity has gone from 92 % down to 72% then to 64% now back to 74% (not the charge, but the actual capacity of the battery).

I agree on the ram as well, I'm ordering a 2gb chip (since it's a duel channel system) to throw in here ASAP

OP
whitehorse84
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
as you can see by the saves in coconut.

Screen shot 2010-03-17 at 5.40.18 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd call Apple about it.
Explain it to them, even get an email address that you can send them that information if they don't see it your way straight away.
I'd like to think that if you can get the right ear to listen, that they will offer you a replacement, or give you authorisation to take it to a genius bar free of charge, for evaluation and/or replacement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.