• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Survey: Macs Cost Notably Less to Support than Windows PCs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Even though the article is short, it is still a good read and sort of puts me at ease. The comfort of knowing in the long run that my Mac will cost me less is music to my ears. The overall up front price of buying one, is negligible knowing that and only that is the the most ill be spending over the life time of my machine ....

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I've experienced it my whole life. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Good article. I agree I know several people who are still using G4 macs for everyday use.Heck my Dad' uses his 700Mhz eMac till this day, The only thing it cost him was a Ram upgrade, Not too bad. I don't anyone who still uses a 700Mhz PC.

another example I just recently picked up a Powerbook 145B from 1993 and it still works perfectly.

I think the lesson here is you get what you pay for. buy a $499 Dell laptop and maybe get 2 years out of it. Buy a Mac and you could get a decade out of it or more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
This just helps the facts that Apple overall arevery resonably priced computers. Even maybe a little cheaper if the PC support cost is high. Just information we all know already but it's nice to see the rest of the world is slowly comeing to accept this fact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
This just helps the facts that Apple overall arevery resonably priced computers. Even maybe a little cheaper if the PC support cost is high. Just information we all know already but it's nice to see the rest of the world is slowly comeing to accept this fact.

If you look at it PC' are only cheaper because of all the bloatware that comes pre-installed on every PC you buy. You don't get that with a Mac.

C

chas_m

My wife has an iBook G4 (1.25GHz) from Feb 2005, and a Mac mini (Core Duo 1.83) from late 2006. For what she does, she can see absolutely no difference in these models (which is why I'm about to sell the mini).

The iBook is five years old now and does everything she wants it to do on the internet. There aren't a lot of PCs that can make that claim.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Agreed. My mates white ibook G4 still surfs the net and plays music as well as the day it was new. And the same as my imac from 2006. I can play World of Warcraft on it (plus a heap of other modern games and apps) and get 60 fps on medium settings. Tell me any 2006 PC (with all 2006 parts) that can do that. I dunno of any.

I think it's just the useful life expectancy of a Mac is like 2-3x that of an equivelant PC. A five year old PC is a dead dinosaur. But five year old macs are still very useful machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Agreed. My mates white ibook G4 still surfs the net and plays music as well as the day it was new. And the same as my imac from 2006. I can play World of Warcraft on it (plus a heap of other modern games and apps) and get 60 fps on medium settings. Tell me any 2006 PC (with all 2006 parts) that can do that. I dunno of any.

I think it's just the useful life expectancy of a Mac is like 2-3x that of an equivelant PC. A five year old PC is a dead dinosaur. But five year old macs are still very useful machines.

I really think you guys need to stop exaggerating so much. I speak with friends every day whom are still using older Dells (5 years old) with only two gigs of RAM whom are doing everything they were doing before (surfing, office work, and even now processing photos in Lightroom).

It really depends on how well YOU maintain your machine. One of my friends actually wants to simply upgrade his RAM to 4 gigs for Lightroom, and use it until the machine ceases to work, period. He says he'll then get a Mac. ;)

I tossed my PC years ago, but guarantee that given the way I take care of my computers, it would be rockin just fine. I always custom built my stuff, and once a year would reformat my HD and reinstall the OS just to start fresh.

I do feel that OS X is a lot more reliable than XP, but there's absolutely no reason an XP machine (or Win 7 at this point) should be obsolete if taken care of, after 5 or more years. Heck.. my wife's 10 year old Compaq laptop (which we gave away) is still chugging away, doing basic tasks.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I agree with Doug here.

I know people who have Macs that last them only two years.

I also know people who still have computers running Windows 95 smoothly.

I also don't really agree with the article. What makes Windows more expensive than OSX? Neither of them come with an office suit for free. MS actually does better in the graphics department as they have Paint for free.

My HP Windows XP computer has not been upgraded and still runs like a charm...

Can someone please elaborate how Macs are cheaper than PCs in the long run?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
That's very funny! I noticed this with my mbp even though it is still only 11 months old! That says something! It still runs the same from the first day I got it! My mbp was my first new modern mac, and I was used to all the other pc's slowing down after just months…you shouldn't have to re-install an OS just to make it run from the first day.
Thank you apple, you make me happy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do feel that OS X is a lot more reliable than XP, but there's absolutely no reason an XP machine (or Win 7 at this point) should be obsolete if taken care of, after 5 or more years. Heck.. my wife's 10 year old Compaq laptop (which we gave away) is still chugging away, doing basic tasks.

Basic tasks, on a 10 year old machine? That's nothing. My grandma juat spent 6 years writing her manuscript for her first book. And she did it on a Colour Classic Macintosh. And she had an old Apple stylewriter printer to print it out too. And it worked perfectly. She just finished the book this year. So the computer was 14 years old when she started and 20 years old when it's finished. And mind you this is an elderly person who had little knowledge of looking after computers.

So my point is 10 years is nothing for basic tasks. Can the 10 year old computer still use the latest OS and software?

Can someone please elaborate how Macs are cheaper than PCs in the long run?

Ok here are some articles on the subject. And I'll comment on them after each one.

Macs vs. PCs: Which is cheaper to run? - Feature - Techworld.com
This article on it's surface looks rather unbiased. But if you read it they really are comparing the cost of runing a PC only network to the running cost of Macs in a mixed PC and Mac network. Which is not the same really. And secondly they are claiming Apple techs want more salary then PC techs. Which is wrong.

More good articles which support the Macs are cheaper in the long run.
PCs Are Cheaper?
MacKiDo/Myths/cost
Apple Macs really really are cheaper than Windows machines - MAC.BLORGE
Distorted-Loop.com Blog Archive Macs cheaper, easier, than PC’s for business use – report