• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

No space left on disk!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13.3" MacBook Pro: 300GB HDD, 2.53 GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM/ 80GB iPod Video Classic
Hey all,

I'm trying to use Xilisoft DVD Creator to burn a movie. The program worked like a charm a few months ago, but now it seems to have stopped working. I have a 700MB movie I want to burn, but every time I click the burn button, a message saying "There's not enough free space on disk, please free up 4107MB." I've tried burning different movies, I've even tried buying another brand of DVD-R's, but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions? Anything at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Have you, in fact, tried the most obvious solution? Have you tried freeing up disk space?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13.3" MacBook Pro: 300GB HDD, 2.53 GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM/ 80GB iPod Video Classic
On the blank DVD's? Didn't think I'd have to free up something that's already clear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hon, it's not on the DVDs... It's on your hard disk. The application requires sufficient space on the working hard disk to composite an image that it will then burn to the DVD.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have about 17.5 GB of free space on my hard disk. Is that enough or should I make more room?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
It could be the space on your HD, but it could also be the space on the DVD - How long is the movie? The length of the movie is much more important than the size of the original file - as once it's converted to mpeg2 for DVD format, it may take a LOT more space then you're realizing if you don't seriously reduce the bitrate...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, then that is odd. I've found that's the most common issue with DVD recorders.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The movie is 1:50:22. It says on the error message to free up 4107MB. It also says the expected outcome should be 2053MB out of a possible 4700.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I have an update. I tried taking the blank DVD out, and running the program (it makes the image first and then you can insert the DVD in when it's done) and it still says to free up 4107MB. I tried deleting some stuff and it still gives me that error.

I'm thinking it's the program, but I've reinstalled it and tried different versions of it. Any suggestions for a simple to use program? iDVD is obnoxious, so I'd rather not use that if at all possible,

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If it's talking about the hard drive space, it does take quite a bit of free space to convert some videos to DVD before finally burning to the blank DVD. Is there any way you could clear up a bit more space on the hard drive and see if that message goes away? If it's not the hard drive it's talking about, then I believe what Nethfel is talking about might be your issue.

I have never used or even seen Xilisoft DVD Creator so don't know how the application works. I use Toast here and it always seems to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have never used or even seen Xilisoft DVD Creator so don't know how the application works. I use Toast here and it always seems to work.

The only place i have seen it is here in the forum, at that certain time of day when the SPAMMERS hit us for six ....

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're calling me a spammer, I'm not.

I've tried freeing up some space, and it doesn't seem to do anything. I'll try toast.

Thanks a lot guys for your help. If toast doesn't work for some reason, well then I guess you'll be hearing from me again...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you're calling me a spammer, I'm not.

There was no where in my post i accused you of being a spammer. 1st thing is you have 27 posts and have been here a while, and to top it off there is no links to the software. I was just letting dtravis7 know that it is the software that the spammers hit us with and its the only place i have heard of this software.
If you read it differently I am sorry, BC that wasnt my intention.
I really hope you find a solution to your problem :)

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I must have misunderstood. My apologies.
Thanks. I just started using Toast instead. It's taking a bit longer, but I'm fed up with trying to find a solution. :p

Thanks for your help guys!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I must have misunderstood. My apologies.
Thanks. I just started using Toast instead. It's taking a bit longer, but I'm fed up with trying to find a solution. :p

Thanks for your help guys!

Hey if Toast gets it done, that is the main thing. It does take a bit to convert but it's always worked for me.

No, I was just curious about that DVD program you were using and TM was just telling me where he saw it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.