does screen sharing survive a user change?

Reaction score
I have a remote Mac Mini that I access with screen sharing. But, when I change accounts on that machine it locks up the screen sharing.

I know the admin account is properly set up for screen sharing because it was that way from the start. Then I created a new account on the machine and it took a few tries and reboots to get screen sharing on that account. But now it seems I can't switch users without locking up screen sharing and then I need to reboot.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I just tested this because I didn't remember the answer. Here is what I have concluded. You should be able to switch to the second account in most cases and have screen sharing survive the switch. I f the second account is set to a different resolution in the Displays preference pane.

Is it truly locking up or are you merely getting a completely black screen in the screen sharing window? If that is what you are getting try toggling between adaptive and full quality.

If it is truly locking up are you trying to screen share My Intel Mac Pro with a PPC system running Leopard. When I first tried screen sharing with the G5 under Leopard it would consistently lock up the G5. Unfortunately the G5 died before I figured out a solution.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Already had the setup working on the media machine which is currently headless. Took all of 30 seconds to test. O do go overboard sometimes though.

BTW am I doing something wrong re Friend requests. I have tried to add you twice tonight and still have the notification up there.

OP
M
Reaction score
I just tested this because I didn't remember the answer. Here is what I have concluded. You should be able to switch to the second account in most cases and have screen sharing survive the switch. I f the second account is set to a different resolution in the Displays preference pane.
I don't understand the last sentence.

Is it truly locking up or are you merely getting a completely black screen in the screen sharing window? If that is what you are getting try toggling between adaptive and full quality.
I got a black screen once and I've also just gotten a locked-up shared desktop.
If it is truly locking up are you trying to screen share My Intel Mac Pro with a PPC system running Leopard. When I first tried screen sharing with the G5 under Leopard it would consistently lock up the G5. Unfortunately the G5 died before I figured out a solution.
No, both machines are Intel OSX 10.6.2

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't understand the last sentence.

There's a reason you didn't understand that sentence: It didn't make sense. lol Part of the sentence was missing. That is what I get for posting so late.

What i meant was if the two accounts are set to different screen resolutions the size of the screen sharing window may not be exactly the same in both accounts. It's usually easy to drag the window to the size that you need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.