How does mail work in UNIX/BSD

Reaction score
I'm banging my head over this.

I'm going through 'Learning the bash shell' (which you may be familiar with) and am at the MAIL section of Shell variables in chapter 3. I'm trying to send a mail message with the mail command, but nothing happens. I've tried to send a message to my gmail account with

mail (email address) cntrl-d

to send, but nothing happens. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong/and tell me exactly what I'm supposed to do? Do I need to configure something, or what? I'm not sure this book is explaining things completely. All it does is talk about MAIL, MAIL PATH, and MAILCHECK; it's only a couple of pages.

HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
mail -s testing [email protected] < cameraString.txt

The less than sign uses the content in the file name that follows it. Without that, you just type in your message and use cntrl-d as you indicated.

Do a man mail

P.S. I'm using the tsch, but I don't think that matters here.

OP
S
Reaction score
I did that and nothing happened. I get an EOT (what does that mean?)

Do I have to configure something?

I've looked at the man pages but the only thing it says about sending is cntrl-d, which I did.

Is there any book I can get about using the unix mail program?

I'm getting really frustrated with this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I don't know. I'm using Snow Leopard in case that might be a difference. I do not recall setting anything.

Perhaps a hint can be found at macosxhints.com

OP
S
Reaction score
xstep --

I'm using Snow Leopard as well, but I get nothing.

What did you do to make yours work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Besides the fact that I'm using the tcsh, I don't recall making any other changes or settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.