Moving from one iMac to another

Reaction score
So I purchased a newer/faster iMac and now I have to move my stuff over.

So I have Time Machine running on the old iMac using an external USB 1gb drive. Will that help me in the move or should I just share out the old iMac and move over what I need?

I sold the old make so I guess I will need to reload the OS to make it clean?

Any help - link - etc.. would be great!

Thanks,

DK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
Boot from the installation disc, go through the process of installing OS X, when it's done it will ask you if you want to restore from a Time Machine backup.

Edit: Never mind, I just realized that you only have 1 GB of external memory for backups. Instead, just do it manually by copying over all the stuff you need.

OP
D
Reaction score
Wow!

That was the most pain free thing I have ever had to not endure! I made all the connections to the new iMac including the 1TB external drive that I use for Time Machine and turned on the new iMac and it came up and asked me if I was moving from one iMac to another and so I clicked sure.. and then it asked if I wanted to restore from Time Machine and I said **** yes! then 1.5 hours later I am on my new machine like nothing has changed except now I have 3.06 speed and LED backlighting and a cool new wireless keyboard and this mouse that is very much like some sort of multi touch miracle! I am not missing one single thing?

Will it be this easy to erase the old machine???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
That was the most pain free thing I have ever had to not endure! I made all the connections to the new iMac including the 1TB external drive that I use for Time Machine and turned on the new iMac and it came up and asked me if I was moving from one iMac to another and so I clicked sure.. and then it asked if I wanted to restore from Time Machine and I said **** yes! then 1.5 hours later I am on my new machine like nothing has changed except now I have 3.06 speed and LED backlighting and a cool new wireless keyboard and this mouse that is very much like some sort of multi touch miracle! I am not missing one single thing?

Will it be this easy to erase the old machine???

Glad to hear the good results!

Take a look at this youtube video for a fresh install of SL.
Since you're selling your old one, just don't do the part where you restore from a T.M. backup...obviously.

OP
D
Reaction score
Glad to hear the good results!

Take a look at this youtube video for a fresh install of SL.
Since you're selling your old one, just don't do the part where you restore from a T.M. backup...obviously.

Thanks for the link. It worked great.. sort of.. I had to erase the drive as there was not enough space to install the OS... or so it told me.. and then it gave some sort of error about not being able to copy or write the files to the drive and so I sorted over again with the blank HD and it worked fine the second time around.

So all is good and my step son will have a nice clean install on the old iMac that he can setup for himself using his own information.

Thanks for the help.

-DK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.