Bypass password?

Reaction score
I recently inherited a G3 running OS X. Unfortunately, the password was not included. This machine has a Zip drive only, no CD drive. Is there a way to get into this machine or alternatively, re-install the OS? I do have an external DL CD RW drive (currently attached to my Windows box).

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome nightshade .... If you have a external cd drive all you need is the install disks and you have yourself a working Mac ....
Please tell us you have the install disk that came with the machine ??

OP
N
Reaction score
I don't think so.

One of the Zip disks is labeled OS 8. Nothing happens when machine is booted with this disk in the drive, so I can't be sure what is on it. It may be worthy to note that a Compac keyboard is being used. It came with a Compaq keyboard. Do you know which key would correspond to the Apple key? There was a suggested work around posted elsewhere that begins with Apple key + S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Im not to up to date with a OS that far back but you might have to boot up holding down a certain key to be able to boot from it.

The option/alt key from memory and this will give you the option to boot from the disk ??
But someone might come in and correct me
As i said im not to good on OS 8 ... Love it though its a zip disk :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Option/alt should do the trick for OS 8, if memory serves. It has been a while since I've had to choose a boot volume in OS 8 (I was 11 or 12 but I loved doing all the troubleshooting). I know in OS X that key will let you select your boot volume on start up, and I believe that it is a relic of Mac OS systems past.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.