uhoh! my data plan has no free internet, costing me £40 ! DISABLING INTERNET?!?!?

Reaction score
ouch, so in the title as it says.

i got an iphone back from repair today from a friend, i've unlocked it to work on my network provider: three in the UK. I set it up as my home wifi in the settings area, started browsing thinking i was doing so free through my internet at home and got a text from three saying your data usage is £42.50 since this morning. im in a bit of a panic, going to have to tell my parents!

how the heck do i turn off the internet so there's no usage and only use my home wifi so there's no charge? i also have mail setup which could be a problem, with incoming emails, and facebook with notifications?!

please, a swift reply would be much appreciated

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can put the phone into it Airplane mode under Settings, and that will definitely kill the 3G network..I believe it leaves the WiFi enabled, so that way as long as you have WiFi access you can use the Internet.

If you want to use the phone as an actual phone, then you'd need to be out of Airplane mode and in that mode there is NO way of preventing the iPhone from accessing the Internet for something..the phone (and apps) are designed to have/use the Internet either through WiFi or Edge/3G network..

If you have the option to get a data plan for your iPhone, I'd strongly recommend that as I did the same thing when I got my iPhone and with VERY minimal usage my first months bill was like $150..suddenly the $30/month unlimited data made a lot of sense..:)

Regards

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. okay, i understand now.

i contacted three and theyre offering me for the 3 months until my contract ends:

200 minutes
unltd texts
unltd internet

for 15 pounds a month.

the iphones 3g is definiately covered under 'internet' and not another title? i really dont want to run into any more problems :(

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yup..the Internet would cover whatever network access you have ..either 3G or Edge depending on how your carrier's network is..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.