Is My MBP Airport Extreme Card Damaged?

Reaction score
I have tested the speed of this via WIFI on several networks. Currently I am on my schools network which is fast or should be faster then the speeds I am getting.

MBP INFORMATION
  • OSX 10.6.2
  • Model Name: MacBook Pro
  • Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
  • Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
  • Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
  • Number Of Processors: 1
  • Total Number Of Cores: 2
  • L2 Cache: 3 MB
  • Memory: 8 GB
  • Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
  • Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
  • SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

Here are my results:

School Network via WIFI [No Security on the Network]
  • PHY Mode: 802.11g
  • BSSID: 0:11:92:a9:43:b1
  • Channel: 1
  • Network Type: Infrastructure
  • Security: None
  • Signal / Noise: -49 dBm / -88 dBm
  • Transmit Rate: 54

SPEEDTEST.NET RESULTS:

750714723.png

--------------------------------------
HOME NETWORK via WIFI WRT310N Most Recent Firmware

** I am not at home so I don't have all the Network data but I do know my Link Speed is 144 Mbits/s ***

SPEEDTEST.NET RESULTS:

738665581.png

-----------------------------------------------------
HOME NETWORK via ETHERNET WRT310N Most Recent Firmware

SPEEDTEST.NET RESULTS:

738664799.png

----------------------------------------------------

Here is the problem I called up Apple they said that they had no idea what was going on. I tested my home network with my Sisters Macbook VIA WIFI and she got download speeds at a 12 mb/s average. I have no idea why my MBP is so dam slow but it is starting to **** me off.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Speedtest.net results for WiFi versus ethernet show a very large discrepancy in speed. And what's really strange is that your upload speed is more than 4X faster than the download speed on your home network.

I'm assuming you're using a WRT 310N LinkSys Router. Have you tried going over all your settings for the router? And have you made sure all your settings are correct for WiFi?

Your MBP is a recent model and should still be under warranty. Normally I would recommend doing the Apple Hardware Test on the machine but those tests are really not conclusive for Airport problems. It will tell you if the Airport card is dead which yours is obviously not.

The best thing might be to take it on in to Apple and have them put it on their WiFi test system in the store. If the Airport card is defective, they'll be able to change it out right then and there. (If it is in stock)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 320M
If the upload speed is fine then it might be the router that is at fault, one thing that does mess up your laptop is that if you touch the casing with a electric feed (positive and negitive source) it will kill your airport card, because the cards antenna is the case so if a surge of electricity rushes through the card, then it might die. I did it but it was only a 1.5v battery (no im not an idiot, i work with electronics as a hobby near my laptop).

If you have had a power surge then that could be the problem.

Also if you have a firewall enabled see System preferences --> security -->firewall tab unable it and then check your speeds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.