iTunes: Transfer data file to another Mac?

L

leelovesbikesto

Is there a way to transfer an iTunes data file (which holds info such as ratings and playcount) to another Mac? I ask because I want to duplicate my iTunes library (on my work Mac) for use at home too, and keep the two libraries up-to-date.

I have tried replacing the library data and .xml files but these do not seem to be recognised by iTunes when placed in the User>Music>iTunes folder. Should the go somewhere else? Or imported?

TIA Lee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
maybe you could import all the music in to the new itunes. and then replace the data file that it created with the data file from the old itunes.

OP
L

leelovesbikesto

fearlessfreap24 said:
maybe you could import all the music in to the new itunes. and then replace the data file that it created with the data file from the old itunes.

I tried that, but the file which is replacing the old data file is not recognised. If I quit and reopen iTunes it's saved the 'old' info, and the 'new' info is not there. There must be a simple way of reapplying stats to files in the library!?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Sorry, I can't think of anything, but you might be interested in syncOtunes. It syncs your two libraries back and forth, and it works like a charm. Maybe, they'll add something like you want in the future, if it is possible. You'll need a network for starters. The app is free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Go Music>iTunes>iTunes Music> then you should see folders with artist names on them click whichever you want then album then the song in there and only in there will contain all info that was added using itunes including ratings.
I hope I'm not repeating anyone.

OP
L

leelovesbikesto

johninc said:
Go Music>iTunes>iTunes Music> then you should see folders with artist names on them click whichever you want then album then the song in there and only in there will contain all info that was added using itunes including ratings.
I hope I'm not repeating anyone.

Are there 'hidden' files in there? I only have the .mp3 file. I thought library info was kept in the library and XML file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Theres no hidden files but all the MP3's are there. The XML file tells iTunes where to find all the files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.