new to mac, just bought an ibook need help

Reaction score
i just bought an ibook off of ebay, and i need some questions answered. it is a g3 366mhz, 6gb, 320 ram, clamshell ibook. it says airport ready.

first is there a book that i can read to familiarize myself with the ibook?

second: can i upgrade to a dvd player and how much? also is it worth it?

third: is there a way that i can up the power to a 466? how? is it worth it?

and lastley: which does everyone here prefer pc or mac seriously?

thanks for the help in advance also everyone that i have talked about macs to who own a pc say don't ger a mac stick with pc. thanks again

Ron

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have tried to answer as best as I know how for you here...

da2003pizimp said:
i just bought an ibook off of ebay, and i need some questions answered. it is a g3 366mhz, 6gb, 320 ram, clamshell ibook. it says airport ready.

first is there a book that i can read to familiarize myself with the ibook?
You haven't mentioned which OS it has, but assuming it has OS X, a good book is "OS X:The Missing Manual"

second: can i upgrade to a dvd player and how much?
You would need to upgrade the logic board to a 466 board first, if I am not mistaken
also is it worth it?
My opinion, no. It would have been easier and cheaper to have purchased a model with a DVD already installed. Yes, it can be done, but too much work for my taste :)

third: is there a way that i can up the power to a 466? how? is it worth it?
See the previous response
and lastley: which does everyone here prefer pc or mac seriously?
I think I speak for many here when I say that we don't necessarily prefer one platform over the other. It is all about what you need to do with your system, and using the best system for that job. I have and use both Macs and Windows machines. Each has it's own pros and cons. Granted I primarily use the Macs, as I do quite a bit of music composition and editing; but the Windows boxes still see use here and there. :black:

thanks for the help in advance also everyone that i have talked about macs to who own a pc say don't ger a mac stick with pc. thanks again

Ron
Hope this helps :black:

Reaction score
I would say upgrading the processor and optical drive wouldn't be worth the money, replacement parts are expensive. Try that iBook out, if you decide you like it, sell it and buy a newer one, you'll get more for your money that way.

OP
D
Reaction score
well when i get it i'll see how it goes, if i enjoy it i'll either upgrade it or get a new one. but my question is how much does everything cost? ie upgrade to 466 and upgrade to 30 hd, and dvd player?

Reaction score
To upgrade the processor you will need a new logic board, most places you'll find them it'll be over $200, you might be able to find a better deal on Ebay. I don't even know if you can fit a 466mhz logic board in a 366mhz iBook. DVD player would probably be at least $50, then a 30gb HD would be at least $60.

Finding parts isn't easy and some of the places that sell older apple parts want ridiculous amount for them.

edit: here is a link for parts http://www.powerbookmedic.com/iBook...__Replacement_Parts_For_Repair-p-1-c-319.html

OP
D
Reaction score
i found quite a few logic boards but they are way too much, more than i spent on the ibook. but i may just do a dvd player and hd upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
da2003pizimp said:
i found quite a few logic boards but they are way too much, more than i spent on the ibook. but i may just do a dvd player and hd upgrade.
You will still need to upgrade the logic board if you want to install a DVD drive. The 366 Mhz boards don't have the DVD decoder on them. The only way to get it is to upgrade to a 466 Mhz board.

A

Aarow

If it is OS9, then read "the iBook for dummies". It's kind of outdated though (from 2000 I think)

OP
D
Reaction score
well that sucks, anyways i know i found some books on half.com that were cheap and looked pretty informative. maybe somewhere down the road if i get lucky and find a logic board then i'll get a dvd, but for now i already have a protable dvd player. thanks for the help guys.

C

ciaran.mooney

Same problem mate you need the 466mhz logic board, and case.

The only way I could think of getting what you want is to get a broken 466mhz (with DVD and firewire) that has a damaged screen, and swap the screens over. As I think they're the same.

OP
D
Reaction score
i love the ibook but i think i'm goign to sell mine, i paid 305 shipped for it and it has an airport card. so if you people know anyone who wants one please let me know i want to get just as much as i paid for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.