Airport connected but cant browse the web

Reaction score
Hey,

i am using a macbook pro 13" on 10.6.2. I was using the wifi at the state library of melbourne yesterday when all of a sudden I couldnt access any web pages, it got stuck on "connecting to <website>" until the connection gets timed out.

I tried to restart airport, deleting it and re-adding it, asking for dhcp renewal (which didnt work, as their server gives me the exact ip everytime. Not sure if it is supposed to), running the diagnosis tool from the network panel which tells me everything is fine...

I figured i am in a kind of quarantine on their server, yet I didnt do anything wrong. I asked the staff to look at it but they have no computer skills.

I use no proxy. Firefox. Tried to find a proxy software for mac but no luck.

If anyone has an idea....
thanks!

Gary

C

chas_m

Hey,

i am using a macbook pro 13" on 10.6.2. I was using the wifi at the state library of melbourne yesterday when all of a sudden I couldnt access any web pages, it got stuck on "connecting to <website>" until the connection gets timed out.

Stop. This is the problem right here. You're using someone else's network. You have no control over it. If it goes down, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

All you can do is let staff know that its no longer working, and let their technicians fix it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yea I know I thought there was a way to clean every trace from my computer so their server would think I am a new user that never logged on the network.

Either way my problem got solved somehow so thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My roaming experience has shown odd experiences with getting on and not getting on. On occasion i have wondered if the way the Network is set up means Safari goes off to load a page rather than find the log-in portal that allows one a free sign in. You could try another browser or even trashing the cookies for that Network. Also if i was going to the Melbourne Library often i would set up a Location for that site and try and find the DNS numbers for that particular ISP. Look Location and DNS.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hey

I figured id write again to see if someone has an idea. It still doesnt work. After a period of 2 days the server would give me my access back and then again out of nowhere it just stopped working. I cant browse anything. Network diagnosis says im connected but im stuck on the "connecting to website" process. I tried to let it go for a week > doesnt help. Asked staff, they dont know.

If im blocked on their wifi( i have no reason to be), any way to delete my traces off their servers?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have the exact same problem. I'm not really good with technology; I don't really know all that proxy or DHCP stuff, but I try my best to follow :p

The people at the state library couldn't help me at all. Its my first year in Melbourne, and as a student, this is quite annoying when I want do my work in the library.

Solutions, anyone?:\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.