• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Portable Hard Drive??

Reaction score
Hi, what do you guys think about this portable hard drive here??

Iomega eGo Portable 500 GB External hard drive - 800Mbps(FireWire800)/400Mbps(FireWire)/480Mbps(Hi-Sp.USB)

I'm on a budget, but I keep hearing bad stories of portable drives, that they crash after so long. But my boss uses one and it hasn't failed yet. Seems so much easier to store things with it than to use DVDs, which took hours last night.

So I'm curious about two things...make that three.

1. What you think of this as a drive in general?

2. What you think of this as a drive that I could work off of/store all the media I'd work on in Final Cut Pro (Rendering, capturing, importing files from etc)? (If it's bad for that, I'd just use it as storage, and move the files from the drive to the computer in order to work with them.)

3. Would I be able to transfer files between Mac AND PC?

I want a reliable, PORTABLE hard drive. Even though I know those half-Xbox-sized things are probably more efficient, they're not portable in the least, and they have to be plugged into the wall.

Also, using a MacBook Pro

Thanks!

C

chas_m

I used to really hate Iomega as a company (those Zip and Jaz pieces of ... er, hard plastic). But they seem to have reinvented themselves as a drive company and so far I've been pleased with the 1.5TB drive I got from them (I won it).

Self-powered portable drives are kind of tricky, which is why they have a bad rep generally: its hard for the drive to get enough power from the computer to consistently do the kind of things a "plugged in, full size" external drive can do, so you often hear reports of "bad performance" when trying to do things like watch HD video off of one. <rolls eyes>

That said, for storage it should be absolutely fine and should be no more or less reliable than any other hard drive (provided you don't abuse it).

I have a portable USB2 HD and I always keep it well-packed to avoid dropping or excessive jostling, *and* I always wait for it to fully spin down before unplugging. Seems to help, I've had no problems with it.

Oh, and about Mac to PC transferring: you can do this IF you format the drive as FAT32. The problem with this is that you are limited to files of 4GB in size. Some people get around this by formatting the drive as NTFS (which doesn't have that problem) and installing some kind of system plug-in on the Mac that allows it to read and write to NTFS (by default it can only read).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I have the iOmega drive you linked, and I LOVE it. Had an Seagate... crapped out on me. Have a buddy who had the same Seagate... crapped out on him. The iOmega is really nice looking, built/designed very well and is FAST as lightening ! As far as power goes, I think that Firewire supplies power more efficiently than USB, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I would not hesitate to get another one, and I might do just that, instead of having these huge WD externals laying around. If I had to say anything negative about it, it would be that the activity light is incredibly, ridiculously BRIGHT ! Nothing a tiny piece of electrical tape of marker can't handle though.

Doug

OP
S
Reaction score
Alright guys, I went out and got one today, got the 3 year warranty with it as well. So far absolutely no complaints, as far as speed, it just copied 10 GB in 10 seconds. Seems to run fine directly in FCP so far. All seems fine now, if anything goes wrong in the future I'll awaken this topic :p

OH, but I notice about 25 GB is missing from it from the beginning, but that's probably just the files the drive needs to run, right??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.