• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Single vs. Double Button Mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Do you prefer a single or double buttoned mouse (or rat, hamster, etc. whatever u want to call them)?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I swear, when I go to a Windows computer, I don't feel as proficient as I do in Mac OS X. I feel so bais for some reason. All this in getting to my head.

iWhat says: HOMIE DON'T RIGHT CLICK!

S

speedydave

I am currently a PC user, soon to be a PC/Mac user (getting my PB in about 3 weeks). My school's photo class has iMacs that we use, and I honestly don't mind the single button on the mouse compared to the two button mice I'm used to. The main thing that bothers me about the single button mouse is that it doesn't have a scroll wheel, and that the design of the mouse coupled with how I hold it sometimes makes it difficult to click (I have a death grip on the mouse or something..need to work on that). But, between the two, I prefer a two button mouse because they generally have a scroll wheel.

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can get work done with that stupid one button mouse. It's just so annoying to go CTRL + Click...HELLO APPLE , IT's 2005 ! maybe it's time for 2 buttons.

T

Tel

Personally, I find that I have to use Ctrl + click or right click about 10 times as much on PC's than I ever do on Macs. Though I doubt I'll ever use a single button external mouse, I just need a scroll wheel too much.

A

Aarow

I like two button mice. But I've only used my uncles hockey puck mouse and I didn't really use the ones at the Apple store ( I was looking at the ibooks:) ).

P.S. I saw a two button w/ scroll wheel that looked like the apple mouse, does anybody know where to find this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
The Mouse

Go to www.dvforge.com to find that two-button + scroll wheel mouse that this company made to look exactly like the Apple mouse. It's called The Mouse, you'll find it underneath the Products section. I think it's pretty cool that they make a white one and a silver one to suit the PowerBook and PowerMac. They make a Bluetooth one too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
When will Apple learn. Two buttons with a scroll wheel = efficiency.

I can't believe how ppl with a single button mouse use a Mac. No scroll wheel?? :eek:

I mean, right click is not there,,, no problemo. But no scroll wheel just takes the mickey.

B

badmojo

Coming from a Windows environment, the two-button was so natural, it was like breathing. I tried to give the Apple Mouse a chance but it's really tough. I'll switch for sure to a two-button, but I was hoping for an Apple solution. If SJ doesn't make an announcement at the WWDC, I'm going to get something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Single-button scrolling trackpad :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
technologist said:
Single-button scrolling trackpad :mac:

I used to use a 2 button trackball with a scroll wheel because it confounded my friends when they tried to use my computer. Now I have a Logitech MX510 gaming mouse with like 8 buttons (which took some getting used to) and I LOVE that thing! I'm going to put it on my Power Mac when it arrives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
I'm an ex windows user so bought a MacMice Mouse, 3 button scroll that looks like the Apple Pro Mouse.
After getting used to Panther I tried the Apple Pro mouse, I love using it but my DH prefers the three button scroll so it's attached again.
Not really bothered one way or another but I find the Pro Mouse plus keyboard quicker than using the three button scroll mouse.
Loving Tiger :)

E

Ey3 D

I have a bunch of Logitechs but I never need to right click much. I really only use the right click for games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I have a powerbook so I use one button alot and use ctrl click alot, but when I plug in an extenal mouse, I use a 4 button logitech mouse I really like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
apple is usually at the forefront of computer design and implementation, but why, oh why has it stubbornly stuck with a single button mouse with no scroll wheel. just from this poll one can see most mac folks want more than one measly button!

surfing the internet is a one handed operation for pete's sake! :)

Reaction score
IT WOULD BE AN ADDED BONUS, I'm sure Apple is or has considered doing this(if they will or not, is beyond me) ........I say someone from Apple should jump in here and tell us where this is going ;)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Apple has left the mouse business to a third party. There is no reason for them to create a mouse. Apple is known for the one button mouse.

I assume that those that voted for the single button mouse has alway use an Apple product. Whereas most of the two or more buttons are coming from a PC or windows back ground.

T

Tel

A scroll wheel on a single button mouse would be fine though, I think they should at least do this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.