Are you sure you want to shut down your...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
How can I get rid of the pop-up warning/confirmation when I either shut down or restart the computer?
Or at least reduce the timer to 3 secs instead of a minute?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Use the keyboard shortcut Control Option Command Eject and it will shut down without any dialogs. I forgot what the shortcut for restart is.

Also speaking of shortcuts, you can use Option Command Eject to go into sleep mode without any dialog prompts.

edited: I found this list of Mac shortcuts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Ctrl-Cmd-Opt-Eject - handy to know. √

So what might one use in place of Eject if using a non-Apple keyboard? F12 for eject, but it doesn't work in combination with the three modifier keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
So what might one use in place of Eject if using a non-Apple keyboard? F12 for eject, but it doesn't work in combination with the three modifier keys.
I really can't say for sure. F12 is not the same for all Mac keyboards either because my F12's double duty is the volume key. If you don't have a Mac keyboard you might be out of luck unless you can somehow remap your keys with whatever keyboard you are using. Also to be clear you can get keyboards made for Mac that are not from Apple. For example I've used MacAlly keyboards that have all the Mac specific keys such as the eject button.

OP
M
Reaction score
I actually have osx installed on a dell inspiron 1525 (no eject button) so I was looking for a permanent way to disable it....maybe with a terminal command?
Is there a system file somewhere that I can edit the timer??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
We do not allow any discussion of OSX on Non Apple hardware at Mac Forums. The Hackintosh and OSX86 are against the Community Guidelines here on Mac Forums.

You can not just take a stock factory OSX DVD and have it boot in a Non Apple machine without breaking the protection Apple provides to run OSX on Apple machines only. That breaks DCMA and is not allowed by US Law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.