Which graphics card? (MBP)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
Hi,

It occurred to me recently that my high temperature levels when running skype, firefox, iTunes simultaneously (80°C-ish), when running handbrake (99°C-ish), or when I run logic pro (70°C-ish) etc might be because of the graphics card choice.

I'm currently running the lower end model. Would using the upper end card be a good idea? I have no idea what the difference is, I just picked the lower one to keep battery levels running longer when unplugged - but when running something like the above(s) I'm plugged into the mains anyway!

Even if the temp levels won't be affected, is it better to run the higher powered card anyway?

Thanks very much

Jonik

Cards:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB

Reaction score
how were you able to choose which card you were using? i have the same cards but don't know how to switch them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
none of the software you listed would be that graphic intensive... You might try it and see... the only difference that I can imagine would not because either one was generating much heat on those applications, but the location of the card and relationship to where the fans were might have some impact.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
how were you able to choose which card you were using? i have the same cards but don't know how to switch them

System pref. - Energy Saver - graphics to better battery or higher performance.:)

none of the software you listed would be that graphic intensive... You might try it and see... the only difference that I can imagine would not because either one was generating much heat on those applications, but the location of the card and relationship to where the fans were might have some impact.

Yeah I didn't think it was very graphics intensive. It just occurred to me that it might make a difference.

Would it make a difference at all to any of the above programs by changing card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Using the 9600 card or any higher powered graphics card will make your computer run hotter. My computer runs hotter when using the 9600 card versus the 9400. It's only slightly hotter when using basic applications but it will be noticeably hotter when using more intensive apps such as Handbrake, video games, etc.

The heat is part of the reason why Apple offers two cards. The laptop runs cooler and uses less battery with the less powerful 9400 card. Even though the 9400 is an integrated card it performs really well. A lot better than past Intel integrated cards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
Using the 9600 card or any higher powered graphics card will make your computer run hotter. My computer runs hotter when using the 9600 card versus the 9400. It's only slightly hotter when using basic applications but it will be noticeably hotter when using more intensive apps such as Handbrake, video games, etc.

Unless I'm mistaken Handbrake isn't graphics intensive... it is very CPU intensive but doesn't put any strain on the graphics card.... Video games on the other hand will push the graphics card to the limit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
There are many different Graphic cards. The HD 5770 IceQ 5 features a longer PCB, a more complex cooling unit that makes use of 8 mm thick heatpipes, 1 GB of GDDR5 memory, and reference clock speeds of 850 MHz (core) and 1200 MHz (memory).This video card allows you to use up to three video monitors at the same time as a single desktop, feature known as Eyefinity.

And this has what to do with what?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.