Trouble Setting up a Desktop arrangement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Intel Processer, Nvidia 9400m
I want to give my Macbook Pro (Unibody, 13 inch) a desktop set up. I want to give it an LG monitor, a magic mouse, and a wireless apple keyboard. How ever i want my macbook pro to be under my desk closed (I have a keyboard slot that i don't use) But i heard that i can't use my Macbook Pro closed with this set up because it will fry the LCD screen, but i'm confused because of; Twelve South BookArc Desktop Stand for Notebooks - Apple Store (U.S.)
and it states to work with a desktop set up. I am really confused and could use any help at all. (Also i don't need it to be under the desk if that stand is "the only option")

OP
xammax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Intel Processer, Nvidia 9400m
Thanks so much! Also will this over heat it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I am using my MBP in closed clamshell mode right now and it's fine. I use it like this regularly and I haven't noticed any overheating. Still, keep the option open of having BOTH monitors because you can make the two work as one large monitor, and drag windows between them. I usually like some visuals going while I'm working on my MBP in open mode, so I drag iTunes to the external monitor and dedicate that to the visualizer, while the portable monitor is dedicated to what I'm working on. Or when I'm working with Final Cut Pro, I like to drag the Canvas window over to the external monitor which is bigger and better for previewing, while keeping the other windows on my Macbook's monitor.

But if you're not going to do any of that, it's certainly fine to keep your Macbook closed so you can just use an external monitor.

Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.