Upgrading Hdd, need help

Reaction score
I'm going to upgrade my hdd to 500gb for my late '08 Macbook. I would like to know if I can install my one Snow Leopard disc after I install my new hdd because I bought my Mac used and the guy didn't supply me with the discs. I plan on doing the upgrade from Snow Leopard when I install my new hdd.

1. I'm on Leopard with 160gb hdd
2.Remove 160gb hdd
3. Install 500gb hdd
4. Put in my one Snow Leopard DVD and install

Is doing that okay? Because I only have the one Snow Leopard DVD and I don't have the multiple Leopard DVDs, so I decided to just upgrade instead of buying that stuff.

Also, is my bed a static free surface? And how do I make sure I discharge static electricity before I start?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
that will work, you may need to format the drive first

You can do that by booting off the SL DVD, at the install screen, select Disk Utility from the menu bar, format the drive for Mac and then continue with the indtall

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Your bed is probably *not* static free. I'd work on a table if at all possible. If you don't have a grounding strap and mat (which is the preferable way to handle sensitive electronics) the next best thing you can do is to make sure to touch the metal of the power supply or case to attempt to discharge any static charge prior to touching the sensitive parts.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your bed is probably *not* static free. I'd work on a table if at all possible. If you don't have a grounding strap and mat (which is the preferable way to handle sensitive electronics) the next best thing you can do is to make sure to touch the metal of the power supply or case to attempt to discharge any static charge prior to touching the sensitive parts.

Do I discharge electricity by touching it ONLY with my hands, or do I need to make the screw drivers touch the metal part too? Also, I have the fall '08 Macbook (Aluminum) A1278. What screw drivers would I need for that, and can I find them at Home Depot/Lowes?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.