What mail program would people recommend?

Reaction score
I want to use a program to read and write emails while I'm offline. I use Gmail, and I'd use Gmail's offline program except it's not password protected. I want something that needs a password to open so you can't read my email if you use my computer.

I know there are a variety of programs. I'm wondering which one people might recommend and why. I don't know much about the other options that I know exist.

Thanks!

Reaction score
I tried using Mail for a while, the one that comes with every Mac, but it didn't really sit well for me. At the end of the day, I still prefer using my e-mail through the browser, for some reason.

However, I have tried my hands on a few e-mail clients, and Thunderbird seems to be pretty awesome to use. It is by the same guys that brought you FireFox, so you know the kind of standard that they are holding.

You should check that out.

Reaction score
Why not just create another account for others that might use your computer?

I don't know of anything that will require a password to open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Why not just create another account for others that might use your computer?

I don't know of anything that will require a password to open.

eh... Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, Googlemail...

**** Ignore the above - I missed the 'Offline' bit in OP posting ****

Reaction score
eh... Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, Googlemail...

eh... those are not clients, those are services.

My understanding is that the OP is looking for a local client that he can lock and still allow other applications of the computer to be used. Kind of hard to use GMail (website) while off-line.

Reaction score
I recently switched from Mail to Entourage. I like the PIM ability.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.