Should I buy a iMac Duo or Quad - 27 inch

Reaction score
I am debating between the 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or the 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7. The 27 inch screen versions. It would be used for graphic design and some video editing.

The Geekbench says that the 2.8GHz Quad core is almost twice as fast as the 3.06GHz Duo. And almost as fast as the Mac Pro 2.93GHz Quad core.

Core i7-Based 27" iMac Benchmarks Show Significant Improvements - Mac Rumors

I am leaning towards the 2.8GHz Quad-Core but was wondering what applications are available that are designed to take advantage of the multi-processor feature?

I have been doing Google searches and have not found any list yet. Is there a list??

Also, is it worth spending the extra money on a Quad core versus Duo if there are not many apps that are "mp-aware"? Long term, will there be many mp-ware applications? I think hyper-threading (that's the same as multiprocessing, no?), has been around since 2002 and it seems not much has been done with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Actually, programs don't need to be multi-processor aware to take advantage of multiple cores and processors - they need to be multi-threaded - meaning that they have several threads of code running simultaneously - with that, the OS will distribute the computational handling of those threads amongst the available cores.

Final Cut takes benefits from multiple cores (especially compressor which I have successfully used all 8 cores in my Mac pro doing conversions) - I've heard, but don't know from experience, that photoshop is able to harness the power of multiple cores, etc.

Another thing that multiple cores offers is the ability to "do more" (in terms of running multiple applications) at the same time with less slow down on the system.

Some programs are not optimized for multi core or are single threaded (like Codeweavers Crossover product really only uses about the equivalent of 1 core regardless of the app you have running within it).

You can't really go wrong with either system. The quad core will give you more "future proof" technology in terms of growth ability then a dual core - and that in itself might warrant getting the quad for you. But if you're asking if you need the quad over the dual - I'd say no, you need what will suit your needs best. I probably at work could have gotten them to buy me a new quad for the video aspect of my work, but there was a dual core available, and honestly, it works just fine - just a bit slower then my 8 core at home ;)

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Just wondering...I came across a thread about the hyperthreading. This person said...

Hyperthreading is more like hyperbole! On a single core processor, the benefit of hyperthreading is that under ideal conditions, it keeps the core busy and reduces the number of wait states. On processors with multiple cores, the advantage of hyperthreading decreases. Why do you think Intel dropped HT for the Core (2) series of processors? It's because hyperthreading is the equivalent of sticking go-faster stripes on your car.

I am not sure if Apple is currently using the Core (2) series.

If Intel dropped hyperthreading, is it all hype now and should I get the Duo instead of the Quad? I am confused now...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The 3.06 Ghz is fast, but the i7 is definitely a better overall performer for the tasks that you wish to use the iMac for..the money is well worth it and will ensure that you don't need a new iMac in a year or two when you feel the power is lacking..

Regards

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for clarifying the hyper-threading issue.

One other ponderable...

Apparently it's not easy to upgrade the hard drive without voiding the warranty. Sighh...

Am I better of getting a 1TB or 2TB internal hard drive? I will either have a single external drive for cloning or a raid of some kind for backup.

a. Is it easy to maintain a 1TB or 2TB?

b. Are reads and writes the same for both drives?

c. The obvious benefit of a 2TB drive is the size. Are there any other pros and cons to have a 2TB as compared to a 1TB drive?

Reaction score
c. The obvious benefit of a 2TB drive is the size. Are there any other pros and cons to have a 2TB as compared to a 1TB drive?

i would be surprised if there were. the price isn't worth justifying, IMO. i have 2 external HD's plugged into my 1TB core 2 duo. so i have a total of 2.25TB of space. i am a new [relatively] mac owner, but so far i am quite content with what i have. i think i paid $100 shipped for my most recent HD. a 1tb western digital.

C

chas_m

a. Is it easy to maintain a 1TB or 2TB?

b. Are reads and writes the same for both drives?

a. Makes no difference whatsoever.

b. More or less, yes.

c. Con = you'll need an equally large drive (or larger) to back it up. Also Con= more expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
2TB is a lot of lost data, the day you loose it. You have to think in terms of loosing your data.

Your harddrive will fail, eventually. Make sure you have a Plan B... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
2TB is a lot of lost data, the day you loose it. You have to think in terms of loosing your data.

Your harddrive will fail, eventually. Make sure you have a Plan B... :)

Well said sir !

Clay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.