System Preferences Won't Reopen

Reaction score
Hello,

First thread. I'm having a problem with my system preferences. When I open it and click on some of my "other" preference panes, i.e. Wacom tablet preferences, it gives me the message saying it needs to reopen. I understand why that is but the problem is it won't reopen. I click 'ok', it closes, and nothing. Any ideas?

Thank you,
Martin

MacBook Pro
2.4 Intel Core 2
Running Snow Leopard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure you have the latest software installed that is compatible with Snow Leopard for your Wacom tablet and other items that refuse to open.

As you know, any preference pane that is 32 bit will require that System Preferences shut down and restart in 32 bit mode from its normal 64 bit mode. The problem you can run into is if the software you're using is not completely compatible with Snow Leopard, the System Preference pane will refuse to open and run the preference pane for that item.

Not much you can do except update the software (if an update is available).

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Make sure you have the latest software installed that is compatible with Snow Leopard for your Wacom tablet and other items that refuse to open.

As you know, any preference pane that is 32 bit will require that System Preferences shut down and restart in 32 bit mode from its normal 64 bit mode. The problem you can run into is if the software you're using is not completely compatible with Snow Leopard, the System Preference pane will refuse to open and run the preference pane for that item.

Not much you can do except update the software (if an update is available).

Regards.

Everything is updated. It was working fine before. I just noticed it a week or so ago. Wacom isn't the only one that isn't working. Divx, Fan control, Adobe Version cue. Any program that needs it in 32 bit gives me the message that it needs to restart. I click OK, it closes and nothing.

I feel it might be a problem with System Preferences itself and not being able to boot in 32bit mode. Any way to check that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Fine before, weird now... makes me think com.apple.systempreferences.plist got hosed somehow.

Move that file onto your Desktop.
In Leopard (my OS) it's in Users/MyUserName/Library/Preferences
(Make sure you're in that Preferences folder!)
Then Restart. A new plist file will be created in that folder.
If all is well, Trash the file you placed on the Desktop.

Let us know...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I'll second that emotion, toMACsh

OP
M
Reaction score
Fine before, weird now... makes me think com.apple.systempreferences.plist got hosed somehow.

Move that file onto your Desktop.
In Leopard (my OS) it's in Users/MyUserName/Library/Preferences
(Make sure you're in that Preferences folder!)
Then Restart. A new plist file will be created in that folder.
If all is well, Trash the file you placed on the Desktop.

Let us know...

Did not work. I moved the file to the desktop, restarted, opened system preferences, tried to open Wacom and fan control, it didn't restart for either of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fudge! Well, the next thing to try is logging in under a different user account. Does that allow you to get in?

OP
M
Reaction score
Win! After doing some research I realized Xslimmer deleted the 32bit parts of system preferences. Restored it back and everything works. Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great! But, I didn't do anything that helped.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Win! After doing some research I realized Xslimmer deleted the 32bit parts of system preferences. Restored it back and everything works. Thank you for your help!

Glad you got it fixed. A note about Xslimmer:

Xslimmer and Monolingual are both more trouble than they're worth. I suggest removing Xslimmer and not using it at all. Removing unnecessary binary code and languages really does not save that much space.

BTW, Xslimmer and Monolingual also prevent MS Office from updating and running.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed. A note about Xslimmer:

Xslimmer and Monolingual are both more trouble than they're worth. I suggest removing Xslimmer and not using it at all. Removing unnecessary binary code and languages really does not save that much space.

BTW, Xslimmer and Monolingual also prevent MS Office from updating and running.

Regards.

Xslimmer gave me 10 gigs back to my computer after I ran it and MS office still updates and runs fine.

Reaction score

Hello I used Xslimmer and my 32bit parts of system preferences got deleted too but i dont know how to restore it. i was wondering if you could help me please.

-thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you had XSlimmer save a copy, then you would use Xslimmer to restore.

If not, you'll need to restore from your backup.

No backup, then you're going to need to reinstall OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.