250GB WD mybook (yellow circle)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
Hi all,

I own a 3+ year old WD mybook 250GB with yellow circle on the case. Now, it has never had a problem, and doesn't look like it will fail soon (touch wood).

IF it was to fail on me, would I be able to replace the drive inside, say... to a 1TB or 2TB drive? Are there specifications of what can/cannot be upgraded and what speeds/chache they have to be?

I've done multiple google searches, but nothing specific has turned up, just how to open the case...

It would really help me decide on a HD purchase if I knew whether I could upgrade a case I already own or not.

Thanks very much! :)

Jonik

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't speak for prices in the UK, however, here in the US a new USB 2 or FW carrier case for a 1 or 2 TB drive is not expensive. I recommend rather than cannibalizing your current MyBook carrier that you purchase a new carrier instead. (You would need to get hold of the specs for the WD MyBook carrier to see if a larger drive could be installed in place of the original.)

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a very good point. Even if it's a few quid more, there's the benefit of new warranty and new case/cables etc.

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.