Ibook question

Reaction score
Hi, I have an IBook, it's very old.. the os is: mac os 9.1
- please, tell me your opinion, what should I do with it? (is there any chance updating it to mac os x, or suggest me something else)... :)
EDIT: the iBook is the so called "clamshell"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hi, the 300mhz clamshells (with no firewire port) can go up to Mac OS 10.3 Panther, and the 366 and 466mhz ones (firewire) will in addition allow 10.4 Tiger to be installed.

You will need retail discs (not the grey machine specific ones) and most likely in CD format as not all clamshells come with a DVD drive.

Hope this helps

Cheers :)

Hugh

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
In OS 9.1 click on the Apple in the top left corner and see if you can locate System Profiler. If so click on that and give us the specs like CPU Speed, RAM and whatever else you can find.

What Hugtheslug said though is right on.

OP
K
Reaction score
it's a clamshell graphite, with a processor of 466mhz, but only 64 mb of ram :[
- so it has the firewire port, and it has a DVD :)
- I think that, before upgrading the OS, I'll need to buy some more ram, am I right? (usually I'm not so lost with windows/linux machines, but this is all new stuff for me O:) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My own clamshell is the 366 version and it runs Tiger OK but a little slowly. I might have done better using 10.3 Panther as it takes far less resources to run.
Also Panther is a whole lot cheaper to buy.
I added a 512mb PC 133 SODIMM which is the maximum it will take.
If buying through eBay you will need to spend that little bit more and get RAM that specifically mentions Apple Mac compatible as some modules won't work.

Hugh

OP
K
Reaction score
thank you for the answer, I'll buy th 512 ram, and after that I'm going to install the mac os x... I can't wait :D thx again :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem, good luck and enjoy it !!

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.