MBP 17 choppy animations?

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here...

Just got my hands on a refurb MBP 17' with the standard set-up. Only thing customized is the screen, which is anti glare. I also have over 200GB of free HD space.

I've noticed that if I'm on battery power all the core animations (spaces, dashboard, expose) are choppy and ugly. It's driving me insane! What's bothering me even more, is that if I switch to the dedicated 9600M GT, the choppyness doubles... But while being plugged in, everything is animated like it should.

I've repaired my permissions and ran Onyx, but the problem persists. My old MacBook did the same thing, and I set this new machine up with a Time Machine restore. Could that be the problem? If so, and I need to do a clean install of Snow Leopard, how would I manually restore my iPhoto library, without Time Machine? Reason being that there must be something wrong under the hood, which I want to get rid of, effectively rendering TM useless.

A lot of people may not care about choppy animations, but if you drop $2200 on a laptop, it had better work the way it should!
I called Apple and they had me reset the PRAM, which helped initially, but only for a few minutes, and doesn't seem to have any effect at all.

Thanks guys, please help me resolve this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.