My Power Mac G4 continues to crash?

N

Notsuoh

Hi, I am new to this forum. I was hoping someone could help me. I have a Power Mac G4. Lately, it has been crashing on its own. It will run for 6 or 7 minutes and then crash. Sometimes the amount of time it takes to crash varies. My G4 is nearly 2 and a half years old. This is the first time I have experienced ths problem. Do I need to increase the memory? Does the problem stem from something internal, maybe a weak fan? So far I have been stumped! If you need anymore information, please tell me. Thank You!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well first of all, could you define "crash"? Are you getting any kernel panic messages, or is is just freeezing and locking up? Is this happening when you run a certain program and that program freezes, or does your whole system lock up? What are you doing right before you notice the crash?

If you could list your Mac's specs it would help as well. It is possible that it could be bad memory or something else internal, but it is hard to tell without more info. If its just one app, you could try a permissions repair. Also run a maintenace app like MacJanitor to see if that clears things up.

Keep us posted and we will help as much as we can! :black:

OP
N

Notsuoh

I have had only several messages appear, usually the screen just goes black. The messages usually inform me of some sort of debugging that is occurring. I am not sure what that means? I normally just have to click my mouse and the computer will reboot. I will include specs soon. I am afraid the computer is about to crash again. Thank you for your help thus far!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Seems like you need to run repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Have you added any hardware or software recently? Sometimes the sleep settings get messed up and add-on hardware can break sleep support. You can check your sleep settings in: system preferences>energy saver

You might also try to download and run onyx. it is a (freeware) utility, which runs all of the maintanence scripts and repair permissions and what-not that keeps your system running properly.

Good luck,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.