Time Capsule Connection Problem

Reaction score
Hi - I added a Time Capsule and created a network at home. I can connect to the internet just fine from my Macbook (wirelessly) and iMac (ethernet), but I can not get my iMac to connect to the Time Capsule for backups. My Macbook can see, connect and use the Time Capsule properly. My iMac's Time Machine and Finder both "see" the Time Capsule, but will not connect to it. I'm lost at what to do. I can connect to the Time Capsule via Time Machine and set it up, but that's it. Each time I try to connect via the Finder window, I get a "Connection Failed" and when I hit the "Connect As" button, I get no response. I've tried looking at various fora, but no luck. I was hoping someone here could give me some help? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
May only be able to connect one at a time to it to have it continuously? That's the issue I had with my airdisk, anyway. Solved it by dropping a USB hub in the back of my AEBS and putting a second disk on. :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm using Timecapsule as my network base and you should have no problem with having 2 (or more depending on size of HD) sharing. When you click on the Timecapsule icon in your finder sidebar it should come up and you should see a sparse bundle for each of your machines if you have the access permissions and setup correct.
You should also be able to setup a shared folder for passing files back and forth without having to do the whole dropbox thing. So it looks to me like your setup isn't correct.

OP
P
Reaction score
Razor - I think you might have hit it (Darkest - I know it's supposed to be able to handle more than one machine at a time, appreciate your help, tho). Razor - can you point me to something that explains the setup procedure for the TC? I saw a sparsebundle for the Macbook, but that's it. Every time I try to connect to the TC with the iMac, it immediately tells me the connection failed - AND it won't let me "connect as". When I hit that button, nothing happens. That occurred with the Macbook and I was able to get a response that allowed me to log in properly. I'm just lost now when it comes to making the iMac connect. Thanks for your help so far!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm at work right now, I'll try to look at it when I get home tonight if I can--it's been a little over a year since I set my up, but I think the process was fairly straight forward. Below is a link to the Apple page on setting up Time Capsule. Key things to note, if you haven't already done it to set the sharing under system preferences. As I remember, you have to name the Time Capsule and set a password for login. I'm pretty sure you'll have to enter that the first time you login to set up Time Machine from a new Mac.

Backing up with Time Capsule for the first time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like it isn't an uncommon issue for people who are trying to connect multiple macs to their network drives. Something to do with the AFP dying.

OP
P
Reaction score
Well - I hope nothing is wrong with my unit, it's refurbished, but seems to do everything except connect to my iMac. Razor - I've set this thing up twice, with the same results. When I open Time Machine and select the TC as the backup disk, it just doesn't accept it. But I did set up sharing, I created 2 accounts, one for the laptop and one for the desktop. That's why this is a little frustrating! Still - appreciate your help you two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. Unfortunately, as I was researching it, the problem seems thusfar unaddressed even by Apple. Maybe call them and see what they can suggest. I doubt your unit is faulty, as I, like you, have issues. Mine isn't a time capsule, but I suspect it may have to do with having multiple computers connected to the same drive simultaneously. When I have only my MacBook connected, it's fine. If I try to connect the eMac while the MacBook is connected (eMac running 10.5.8, macbook running 10.6.2), I get the connection failed error. If I unmount my airport extreme/airdisk on the eMac and connect on that, it's fine. When I try to connect my MacBook with the eMac, then I get issues.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree you probably aren't going to be able to simultaneously access from 2 computers, but you should still be able to access from either. Also, when you access your timecapsule from finder you should see the sparse bundles for both machines (assuming they've both been correctly setup and a backup established).
I am far from an expert in this, but I do know that Time Machine/Time Capsule can be picky in initial choices (especially regarding the name). I originally named my Time Capsule using 's in the name (as in the possesive case). When I later tried to set up to access the shared drive using my Linux box I wasn't able to do it because the apostrophe wasn't a supportable character in the naming under Linux.
No problem, I thought, I'll just go back and rename my Time Capsule, and I did. The system took it, and it now appears in finder under the new "apostrophe-less name" but to access it (login setup and Time Machine) I still have to use the original non-Linux friendly name.
Barring a hardware problem, when you setup Time Machine backup on your iMac you should have a browse option to find the disk to establish your backup, and from what you've said your Time Capsule should be visible in finder. After you select it, you should be presented a popup to enter the login/connection info (that you previously established), after that it's pretty much automatic. If that isn't working you may need to post some screen shots of what is happening and maybe some of the gurus here can weigh in with a soloution.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hmm, my laptop and iMac are using the same OS-X version, and the laptop operates properly. I turned off Airport so the laptop couldn't talk to the TC and then tried to access the TC with the etherneted iMac. Again, no luck. I'm wondering if I have a password problem or an account problem. But I've got the iMac's account loaded in the iMac with the proper password...I am not even given the chance by the Finder window to connect properly/differently, when I hit "connect as" the button depresses, but I get nothing...

OP
P
Reaction score
Problem finally solved at the Genius Bar. They did everything I had done to correct the problem and finally reloaded the OS. That resolved the issue. Now, I'm in the process of backing up - normally. Thanks to Razor and Darkest for your helpful advice.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Unfortunate it took a reinstall of the OS for them to fix it. Had read your posting, but didn't know what to suggest you try. Had no problems here accessing my TC from two different Macs.

OP
P
Reaction score
I couldn't connect to any other computer from the iMac either...not the laptop, and not the laptop at the store. So, all along there was an issue with my iMac that was solved with the reload of the OS. Never a problem with the TC, thank goodness.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got an answer; I had long since run out of anything useful to suggest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.