Not sure where to ask about malware, trojans and worms ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, OS 10.8.4
Twice now I've gotten messages that the site I'm on might have malware. Both times were major news sites, i.e. sites that shouldn't be risky. Other sites I've visited perhaps weren't that safe, but no messages there. As I was having no problems, I wasn't inclined to worry. Generally, the Mac community isn't plagued by such things ... but I know we're not invulnerable.

Yesterday I got a message saying that I needed to upgrade my iPhoto library. When I did so, it became inaccessible to iPhoto and I now have to manually rebuild it. So I wondered if maybe I did pick up some malware somewhere. Or maybe it's just coincidence.

I don't even know whether I have any software which could scan for malware or whether there's anything going around currently that the Mac community is aware of.

Any words of advice?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Twice now I've gotten messages that the site I'm on might have malware. Both times were major news sites, i.e. sites that shouldn't be risky. Other sites I've visited perhaps weren't that safe, but no messages there.
That last sentence may be the cause of your problems. Care to divulge what types of sites you've been visiting (without posting links)? It's possible that past indiscretions are the cause of some of your problems.

OP
vita64
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, OS 10.8.4
I just installed iAntivirus and am running its lengthier scan. It's almost done; nothing detected yet.

There's a chat site that I visit regularly. Participants frequently post links; usually to YouTube videos or pictures. People also post links on Facebook; usually to similar stuff.

Thanks clayneal and vansmith. Off to read The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.