Excel for Mac - help me!

Reaction score
I really hope I've posted this in the right bit of the forum. Apologies if I'm in the wrong place.<p /><p />I'm relatively new to Mac and still finding my way around my new 13inch Macbook Pro. I bought Office Home & Student for Mac and have been using it very happily, until I came to try and format a cell comment on Excel. I've googled the problem extensively and can find a myriad of solutions for Windows Excel, but the same menu options just aren't there on the Mac version!<p /><p />Essentially what I'm trying to do is import a photo into a comment so that it pops up when I hover over the cell. Right-clicking the comment box and changing the background options on Windows Excel will achieve this, but when I choose the menu option to "Format Comment' in Mac Excel, it only gives me the option to alter the font, not do anything that will result in me having a picture in there.<p /><p />Is this simply not possible in the Mac version or am I missing something blindingly obvious? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 MacBook Pro Uni, 2.4GHz 4GB, 128 Samsung SSD
oxygen crotona

Hi there! As much as i cant help you with office, a little known bit of information is that if your version of office:mac is a retail version, you get 90 days of free technical support from microsoft, so give em a call and let it all out (as long as your within 90 days of buying it that is) ;D
0870 60 10 100

All the best

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you updated to version 12.2.4 which did update Excel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Harry, you're assuming Office 2008, I assume, because I have 2004, and 11.5.6 is the latest Excel update. The OP doesn't indicate which version, only a clue that it might have been purchased recently.

In any case, if no answer is found here: Excel Help, or The Missing Manual for your version of Office, or this forum: Excel Questions - MrExcel Message Board

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
'New to the Mac' and "bought Office" indicates Office 2008 to me and my version of Excel sure is 12.2.4. We do need that info OP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
harry, just to be clear... I meant that the latest Excel update number for Office 2004 is not the same as for Office 2008. And yes, I know you picked up on the clues, and I think you're probably correct.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.