How to make USB drive visible again in finder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP2.26/4GbRAM
Hi

My Kingston 2GB USB drive does'nt show under 'devices' in finder anymore. I don't remember what I did that made this happened but it used to show up when I first got the machine. Now it only shows on the desktop.

(Its easier to copy files when it shows in finder!)

Does any one know how to bring it back to the finder?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Check Finder's preferences. Under General, and in Sidebar, make sure "External Disks" is checked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Does it show up in Disk Utility? Look in Applications > Utilities and run Disk Utility. If it's not there, try it in a different USB port.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Not sure if this will work (and not willing to test it if it doesn't) but have you tried dragging the USB drive from the Desktop to your sidebar under Devices?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP2.26/4GbRAM
Not sure if this will work (and not willing to test it if it doesn't) but have you tried dragging the USB drive from the Desktop to your sidebar under Devices?

This works!:Evil:Thanks man!

And thank you all for your posts too! This is a great forum!

Edit:I wanted to add rep points for all of your replies but i need to know do I have limits on points that I can give? Otherwise I'll just give one to vansmith and save some for some other posts.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Glad it worked out for you. As for the rep, you have to spread around the rep before you give it to the same person but you can give out as much as you see fit to different people.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP2.26/4GbRAM
Thanks vansmith. One other thing. How do I 'spread around the rep'?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By spread around I simply mean giving it to other people. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
See the little tick/cross box van smith's machine details, the middle of three? Click on that and a little window opens and you can then give positive, I trust, or negative feedback and comments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Good work Loathe.
Spread the love ... they all deserve it, and I'm sure this will bring you plenty of good karma :)

Reaction score
Humph, I have the same problem except the usb drive doesnt even show up on my desktop either. I know it works because Picasa it, but Finder doesnt. :(

Please help!

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP2.26/4GbRAM
Humph, I have the same problem except the usb drive doesnt even show up on my desktop either. I know it works because Picasa it, but Finder doesnt. :(

Please help!

Have you tried Disk utility>repair?

Reaction score
Hi

My Kingston 2GB USB drive does'nt show under 'devices' in finder anymore. I don't remember what I did that made this happened but it used to show up when I first got the machine. Now it only shows on the desktop.

(Its easier to copy files when it shows in finder!)

Does any one know how to bring it back to the finder?

Thanks

Finder > Preferences ...
Select the "Sidebar" tab and check "External Devices" at Devices section

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.