Call of Duty 4 help.

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im new to the forum and like most I could do with a little help. I've just brought my first mac (and love it!) but Im having trouble with running a game on it namely COD4. I can install the game just fine and it will load just fine too but I can't actually play it? Im pretty sure I'm just being dumb and not seeing what glaringly obvious. Basically I can't save a user profile so I can't get play any missions, I enter a user name and click ok, The name appears in the user profile box and when I click ok it takes me back to the main menu. When I then select to go on the prologue it asks me what difficulty settings I would like which I select then nothing????

Like I said I'm sure I'm missing something but can't think what? I've played it on a PS3 and when I select a difficulty setting on that it then just loads the game?

Please help.

Thanks for reading

BK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Is this COD4 a Mac game, or a cider wrap? I know there are 2 versions out there, the cider wrap is basically the PC version in a Mac wrapper, almost like a mini virtual machine. I have COD4 Mac version, and I was able to play that through without a hitch.

OP
Big Kev
Reaction score
It's definitely a Mac game as I got it from the Apple site. This is the second copy I have had (The first was from ebay so I thought it was a copy) and they have both done exactly the same thing?

I must be doing something wrong I just can't think what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So could you explain it once more, like the steps you have taken to try to fix it, what are the graphics settings, etc.

OP
Big Kev
Reaction score
Ok it goes like this, Ive installed the game to the HD and loaded the game, it starts and asks me to name a profile which I do, The profile drops into the player proflile box and I select ok, I get taken to the main menu, If I select new game nothing happens I just get the little squelchy click sound (tech terms ) If I select missions I go to the mission screen (ie Prologue ect) I select prologue, it take me to a screen which has F.N.G on I select that and it asks me to select a diffficulty which I do then.........nothing, Thats as far as I can go.

If I go back to the select a profile option my name isn't in the box anymore? As for the graphic settings they will all be defult to the game as I haven't changed any of them.

Admittedly this is my first venture into desktop gaming, I know on a PS3 when I select a difficulty it just loads the game?

Thanks

BK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it possible for you to locate your saved games on your hard drive, i'm sorry i can't tell you where to look, I haven't had it on here in awhile. It sounds like there may be something wrong with the preferences that pertain to COD4, try doing a search for it, it should be located in HD/User name/Library/Preferences. If you can find one that has either call of duty 4 or Aspyr in the name, delete it. I did a little research on it, and there are actually a bunch of people out there with similar problems, especially on the newer Macs that are out. If they do an update, it normally fixes it, so try looking for an update, which i believe is v1.7 now, and let me know how that goes

OP
Big Kev
Reaction score
I can't find any saved games but thats probably because I've never been able to play a game to save one. I've did find in preferences something with both aspry and call of duty in the title so I deleted that and loaded the game again but it then asked me for the validation code again which I re-entered and the file reappeared so Im guessing that it needs to be there.

Im downloading the patch as I type so hopefully that should get it going.

Thanks for looking it up for me I appreciate, I did look but didn't really know what to look for.

BK

OP
Big Kev
Reaction score
Ok that didn't work, Ive installed the update buts all as it was? If I enter a profile and then try and delete it (as long as I dont leave the screen) It wont let me, saying that I dont have permission to do it as there may be some read only files and I dont have file write privileges, Could that have anything to do with it?

BK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know this may be a very simple thing, but what is your HD formatted in, like case-sensitive or not? Mine is in Extended (journaled), and i didn't have a problem. I read somewhere that people with case-sensitive partitions could have issues with write privileges. But I'm not sure how important it is to you to play the game, especially since you just got it, it might be a good idea to reformat OSX altogether. I'll do some more research on it to see what i can come up with, but i honestly always do that when i have an issue with my drive whenever I have stupid problems like this happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, I just posted a question regarding this on another forum, hopefully they can be of more assistance. I'll let you know the updates

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They unfortunately weren't very helpful, they said to try to delete the prefs as you already did, and reinstall the game. I had a thought last night, it might be a safer alternative to jumping to wipe your computer. Have you ever heard of a program called Parallels or VmWare Fusion? It might be worth to download a trial version of either, they both do the same thing, and install OSX on a virtual machine through one of these programs. Then once that is finished, install COD4 on that, and see if it works. If it does, then your operating system is at fault and you should do a wipe, if it doesn't on the other hand, then you have a bad copy of COD4. You may ask why not play COD4 on the virtual machine, well, virtual machines normally can't take graphics intensive games, I use it mainly for testing programs. I own Vmware Fusion, and use that mainly for testing purposes.

OP
Big Kev
Reaction score
Good thinking on the parallels but...............it wont run snow leopard?

ITS FIXED THOUGH.....ok it was all to do with the share & permissions settings , I went to the Aspry site (why I didn't do this in the first place I don't know) to see if they had any problems and low and behold I found this:
Knowledgebase
Unable to launch single player game.
Top :: Game Issues : Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare :

SYMPTOMS:
Customer is unable to launch single player games, but multi-player games work fine.

RESOLUTION:
This happens only if the player is trying to launch the game from an account or volume other than the one where the game is installed. To be able to launch the SP app, you will need to change the permissions on the main COD 4 folder to allow all users read and write privileges.

To do this:

-Go to the Hard Drive or Applications Folder where your COD4 folder was copied to during installation.
-Right click the Call of Duty 4 folder and select 'Get Info'.
-Make sure the Lock icon on the bottom of this window is set to 'unlocked'.
-Where it says Sharing & Permissions, make sure you click on 'Everyone' and set it to Read & Write.
-On the bottom of the window click on the options button that is to the left of the Lock icon and select 'Apply to enclosed items'.
-Now lock the window again and close it.

* You will need the Admin. password to apply these changes.

You should now be able to use your game with no issues.

Why these settings aren't the default settings I don't know, Even the my admin account was set to read only.

So there you have it, something simple after all. thanks for all your help and ideas Napster I really appreciate it.

BK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh wow that's odd that those aren't the default. O well, at least you got it. No problem man, glad I could help somewhat. Enjoy the game, it's a lot of fun on the computer!

Reaction score
Call of Duty 4 Freezing

Hi there, I just purchased COD4 from the Apple Store. I am having trouble with it freezing when I toggle to night vision, or scope among other things. I just had my graphics board replaced (only after a year). Funny thing is when I picked up my Mac Book Pro today at the Apple Store I tested COD4, went to night vision, looked down the scope and everything was fine. I brought it home, fired it up and it still freezes. It even froze during the video credit portion between the cargo ship mission and the mission to rescue the informer, several times I might add.

Anybody have any ideas. I saw a post here suggesting to change the permissions for everybody to read/write. Did that and still freezes.

Help...anyone?

Bill

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.