Installing new Hard Drive

Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

I want to install a new hard drive in my 15 inch Mac book pro. I don't care about loosing info since is in my external HD. How do I install a brand new OS into a brand new HD. Do I have to have a full New OS or can I use a upgrade? Can you give me some info how to do this.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You didn't specify which model you have, so here's a link.
Installing MacBook Pro 15" Model A1150 Hard Drive Replacement - iFixit
Search that site for the model you have if it's not the one.

As for data, either you will need to Boot from your install disc (holding C down once you hear the startup chime) and select language, then in the menu bar go to utilities, disk utilities, format as mac os extended (journaled), then exit disk utility and go to utilities again, and select restore from backup.

Otherwise, install the OS again, and restore from backup after installation, or later using migration assistant.

What I recommend is a 2.5" USB or USB/Firewire SATA external enclosure for your existing HD. ($20-$40approx)
Use CCC or SuperDuper to clone your drive, and then pop your internal HD into the enclosure, and the new drive into your Macbook Pro and clone back.
You can then use your old drive as a backup in your external enclosure.

Time machine will not bring your System back to it's original state, with things such as Mail, iTunes, Spotlight indexing, caches, etc. and it's really slow.

CCC or SuperDuper will give you an identical setup just the way you left it before upgrading the HD and it's really fast, especially if you have the firewire enclosure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.