MacSpeech USB question

Reaction score
MacSpeech instructions say to plug the headset into the computer. The instructions show a picture of plugging into the back off the computer. As there are only 4 hub connections on my mac and I have use 3, I want to save one for future (i.e. printer, etc),

I do have a hub installed in back of my computer. Can I plug my headset into the hub without degrading the quality/speech recognition? thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have used the VXI headset that came with MacSpeech off and on for a while. When I shifted to the MacBook Pro as my main machine I started using the mic with a hub. It doesn't seem to have affected accuracy much (if at all). I am using a self-powered hub though I am not sure that would matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
there is a way to use an internal mic if you have one installed. just use line in and soundflower. here is a pic of how you should adjust it.
Screenshot2010-03-25at101204AM.png

Input from: Built-In Input: Internal
Output to: soundflower 2ch
and click pass thru...

you must have Linein open to use it though

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting. I think I actually used an internal mic configuration with MacSpeech briefly. Don't remember If I used other software as you suggest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
Interesting. I think I actually used an internal mic configuration with MacSpeech briefly. Don't remember If I used other software as you suggest.

i believe the software doesn't support internal mics since the latest update...but there is always a way around a wall

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would explain a few things. I did the internal mic test sometime in late '08/early '09 shortly after purchasing my unibody MacBook. That was, of course, a couple of MacSpeech revisions ago and I have not tried it since. When at home I use my desktop mic in other settings I find the internal mic pics up a bit too much noise in the settings I would use it in so I haven't played with the internal mic for speech recognition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.