New Mac user new Mac Book pro 1 dead pixel

Reaction score
1 dead pixel :( Well I just got a new Mac Book Pro, and this is my first Mac. It is less than 24 hours old and I noticed a dead pixel on my screen. I got my Mac Book home jut at the end of business hours so I could not get it back to the store in time.

I have been reading horror stories about Apple not taking back or replacing brand new notebooks with only 1 dead pixel and pretty much stuck with what you have.

Does anyone have any new insight on this or is that still what happens?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
1 dead pixel :( Well I just got a new Mac Book Pro, and this is my first Mac. It is less than 24 hours old and I noticed a dead pixel on my screen. I got my Mac Book home jut at the end of business hours so I could not get it back to the store in time.

I have been reading horror stories about Apple not taking back or replacing brand new notebooks with only 1 dead pixel and pretty much stuck with what you have.

Does anyone have any new insight on this or is that still what happens?

Take it to the Apple store, If they give you a hard time call Apple.
You paid a lot of money for the machine. Apple should make it right.

good luck keep us updated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums.
Get onto it straight away, don't waste any time.... as it is so new, I would be suprised if they didn't swap it over.
Dead Pixels and warranty is a complex issue not only with Apple, but with all computer manufactures, and all LCD manufacturers.
Waiste no time, with a frienldy manner, and go into Apple, and if no successful outcome, work your way up the chain to store manager, Apple phone support, and up the chain until you do get it swapped over.
It is certainly reasonable to expect to get it swapped over being just 24hrs.

OP
V
Reaction score
Going to take it in the AM after the store opens I will keep you posted.

I do have the power of the return policy on the back of the receipt within 14 days if dissatisfied. I hope this will not be the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If you go in with a non confrontational pleasant manner, hopefully everything is smooth sailing, and it won't have to lead to that.

OP
V
Reaction score
I always am pleasant unless they make it not so. It takes a lot to make me an angry customer, they would just not have to want to work with me at all to come to that point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to hear... a smile and a pleasant manner goes a long way :D

OP
V
Reaction score
Have you had issues with the Apple store before are they usually good about working with you?

C

chas_m

This is a non-issue if you are within your 14 day return period. You may return the Mac FOR ANY REASON within 14 days and pay the restocking fee, if you actually have a reason they will usually waive it.

Chances are the pixel isn't actually dead (black) but merely stuck (some other colour). Stuck pixels can usually be brought back.

But as mentioned above, being pleasant but firm is the way to go.

OP
V
Reaction score
same haunt

On closer inspection it is red. I tried this pixel murder site that was supposed to help but in the position it is in I can not move it over the troubled pixel.

OP
V
Reaction score
The tech at the Apple store took a look at the pixel saw it right away and replaced it on the spot with no hassle.

He did add something to the likes of
"If it was six months down the road and you had a dead pixel you would need multiple dead pixels before they would replace it"

Just wanted to update you guys and thank you for your replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great to hear Vash
Good work........ what would be and could be....... regardless, all sorted and a good outcome :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
Curious however, if it is newer, they replace, but a little older they won't. I had a Gateway with this issue, and they fixed it right away. While I do know this can happen (pixels dying), most reputable manufacturers will cover dead pixels for the life of the warranty. Most are one year I believe.

In the Commonwealth of Virginia, 30 days with no penalty for returns.

OP
V
Reaction score
Curious however, if it is newer, they replace, but a little older they won't. I had a Gateway with this issue, and they fixed it right away. While I do know this can happen (pixels dying), most reputable manufacturers will cover dead pixels for the life of the warranty. Most are one year I believe.

In the Commonwealth of Virginia, 30 days with no penalty for returns.

I know Dell will either replace or send someone our to replace it as long as it is under warranty as well.

I guess that is the one thing that kinda bugs me right off the bat that I have to have a certain number of dead pixels before they will replace again.

I guess it is just my luck. I got a PSP when they came out i had to take it back 3 times in a row to the store within 2 days before i got one without dead pixels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4gb DDR3 unibody, iPhone 3G 16gb, iPod Touch 16gb
that sucks being a relatively new mac user my self...when i bought my MBP 15 in laste 2009 i noticed the screen was weird....i was soo excited to get a new mac but when i turned it on the lighting on the screen was weird....got kinda ****** since i barely got home form buying it and i figured apple always had high quality machinery....but the next day i went to apple and the second they looked at it they swapped it out....so i got to experience opening a MBP all over again...turns out it was the stage lights? made the lighting look wavy

OP
V
Reaction score
Well the Tech was saying that the pixel issue is not a regular occurrence. He sounded genuine at least. But all in all I am enjoying my new MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.