You are unable to log in to the user account "myuser" at this time

Reaction score
My daughter's MacBook was stolen. I replaced it and restored her data from my Time Machine. She had activated FileVault on her old computer. Now when she tries to log in she gets, "You are unable to log in to the user account "myuser" at this time Logging in to the account failed because an error occurred."

I can log into 'Admin' and 'Guest' just fine. I have restored the same data several times. I always get the same result. I know her passwords are correct.

Obviously she has learned her lesson about FileVault. If the solution involves terminal, I'm trying to learn Unix commands but please go easy on me and be very detailed.

This is driving me NUTS and I know that there MUST be a solution somewhere!

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Jay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums.
Unfortunately, Filevault is a trap. (a vault that corrupts everything it touches it seems).
I'm pretty sure that all hope is gone, and that you are just going to have to settle with a clean install of the OS X, unless you know someone that works for the CIA who can and is willing to try to salvage it for you!
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :/

C

chas_m

Next time someone asks me why I'm so down on Filevault, I'm pointing them to this thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have a look here for some interesting reading Peoples take on File Vault please.......

I had nightmares with file vault. I searched and searched for answers and even the guru's in this forum couldnt help.
What i had to do, long story short, is i had to do a reinstall of the OS. Complete clean reinstall, and then using migration assistant migrated every thing back to my MB, BUT DIDNT TOUCH THE SETTINGS.
I had to not bring them over because the file vault would have been still active and i would have had the same problem.
If any of this makes sense......
But read the thread i supplied and some members, and if by memory i think it was bobtomay, gave a solution sort of about making a .dmg (disk image) of the whole system in another user account then moving it around, doing reinstalls and other things... Sorry cant remember off hand.
I do know i posted MY solution to it all, and i havnt re read it to confirm.

Hope it helps some and if not post back and i will see if i can help you more through it all

FV is the biggest scam there is out there ... STAY AWAY form it forever ...

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Next time someone asks me why I'm so down on Filevault, I'm pointing them to this thread.

Or the the thread i supplied above ... At least i found a solution and i think it took around 70 man hours to rectify ...
Couldnt find a solution anywhere on the net and i had to weed it out my self ....
Mine started with the HD is full and you had no space left .. :(
Really hate FV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Why is there that HUGE advertisement for audible.com in that thread?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The advert keeps changing, but..... these pop up in old threads.... if you look through some of your earliests threads you will more than likely see some.

Reaction score
unable to log into user XXXX at this time?

ibook G4 non-intel type
My OS X disk set is 10.4.6 and my system is 10.4.11.

I put in my OS X disk set to change all passwords now I cannot:

1. access any account
2. Cannot access terminal utilizing command s controls
3. Computer will not read Install disc 10.4.6 to re-install software.

Please advise?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.