• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problem with Roxio Popcorn 4, help please!

Reaction score
I use Ripit to back up my DVDs to my hard drive and convert them for my ipod. Tonight I decided to go a step further and download Roxio Popcorn 4 so I could burn off physical copies of my discs to have on hand. It shows in menu that my DVD files have been resized to fit on a 4.7 gb disc, but when the multiplexing is done is says "Not enough space on disc, 6.4 (or the such) gbs are needed, you do not have enough room on disc." This is somewhat infuriating because I thought the whole point of the program was to shrink DVD 9 file sizes down to something that can fit on a 4.7 gb blank disc. Anyone run into this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Unfortunately, the topic delves into the areas that are not allowed to be discussed here (the ripping and resizing and copying of copy protected movies) so it may be hard to get a solid answer to your question.

Just thought you should know

OP
D
Reaction score
oops. I didn't know. I'm not doing anything that would be considered illegal, these are movies that I own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Unfortunately, in the US, that's illegal (especially if you have to break encryption to extract the movie - it sucks, I know and I personally am a believe in fair use) BUT they follow US laws for the boards here for topics that involve duplicating video... Basically, the only thing legal to discuss are really videos made by you/your family or video that you own the copyrights to that doesn't require breaking encryption.

OP
D
Reaction score
Unfortunately, in the US, that's illegal (especially if you have to break encryption to extract the movie - it sucks, I know and I personally am a believe in fair use) BUT they follow US laws for the boards here for topics that involve duplicating video... Basically, the only thing legal to discuss are really videos made by you/your family or video that you own the copyrights to that doesn't require breaking encryption.

Ok, let's say I have a 8 GB of home movie footage that I shot that's all in one file. Popcorn 4 is multiplexing the footage into what it says is going to fit on a 4.7gb but when the multiplexing is done, it say's "This requires 5.3gbs of space" etc...Any reasons why this would be happening? I'm regretting purchasing this product if this is going to keep happening. Thanks for any help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.