MBP Hard Drive Upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)
Hey everyone! Thanks so much earlier this week for the help regarding my ram upgrade question... it was so nice to deal with OWC, one day shipping, and the 8gb works like a charm! =)

Now onto one additional question...

I currently have the run of the mill standard FUJITSU MJA2250BH FFS G1. The (2.5"?) SATA.... 250 GB...

I REALLY want a 1 TB hard drive, but all I see is 3.5" drives, i.e. samsung, etc. I have read all of the other posts regarding how to hook it via firewire in an external housing to transfer and format the new HD, however I am concerned that the 3.5" wont fit into my mid-2009 MBP.

ANY Advice on this topic would be very much appreciated. I am pretty mechanical, but cant find anything about sizes of my current hard drive, and what it can take...

TIA

-Keegan

=)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)
oh, and one side note, I have a 1tb external with nothing but pictures and music on it ( it's my media drive ) and an additional 500 gb drive that I use with Time Machine to backup this bad boy and save some extra photos, so just to clarify, this 1tb would be for internal the MBP

=)

C

chas_m

Impossible.

A laptop (any laptop) uses a 2.5" drive. The largest available size for a 2.5" drive that I'm aware of is 750GB, and those haven't really gotten good field testing (being so new) IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas and 6 String, you have both answered my question! Thank you very much! I know I wanna go higher than 5400 rpm.. so that hitachi 7200 500gb will suffice! I'll just invest in a third portable HD for my photos ( the 12.2 mp canon rebel xsi loves to hog my HD) and just enjoy having a slightly faster and larger hard drive =)

As always, I honestly appreciate such a fast response! =)

-Keegan

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I lied, that ALMOST answers everything. Will upgrading harm my mac's ability to use shock protection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
for some reason I thought that the "shock protection" that is enabled on the mac senses whenever the mac is tilted or in a dropping motion and picked the reader up off of the hard drive to prevent damage? or am I WAYYY off? lol

Thanks 6string for your help =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're not too way off.
The Mac has a sudden motion sensor, and the HD has shock protection... one of the benefits of the Hitachi 7K500 is it's high rated shock protection. They will not conflict with eachother in operation.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
awesome! looks like I'm ordering one tomorrow morning. thanks so much for your help! =)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.