Annoying error in iCal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S
Anyone else experiencing this or know a fix for it... When trying to delete an event from iCal sometimes it will delete and other times it will not until I quit the app and reopen. It is not a big deal to just quit the app and restart but it gets annoying when trying to organize things and certain events just keep coming back after they were deleted. Sometimes if I delete them they will be deleted and the when I minimize the app and reopen, they will be back and other times they just will not delete until the app is quit and reopened. Anyone know what to do with this or any recommendations.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you syncing your calendars with an online service by any chance? I'm syncing mine with Google Calendar and sometimes if I create an event in iCal and then move or delete it right away, it will pop back into its original location. This is because it has synced up and once this is done, iCal sees the event as back in its original location. That may not be clear so let me try to explain with an example. Let's say you create an event at 10AM on Monday. It's gets synced up but right after you create it, you realize it's supposed to be at 11AM. You move it but iCal, being synced with an online service, sees that it is at 10AM in that service and thus, moves the event back to 10AM. I hope that makes sense.

This only happens if you edit the event right after creating it. If you create an event and realize there is a mistake, wait a second or two before fixing it so that iCal and your online service are in sync.

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I am not syncing with anything, just using it by itself to log my events. It is just annoying that when I delete an event it just pops right back in there and sometimes will not delete at all unless I quit the app. Definitely a bug I think in the program.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Do you have multiple calendars? Is it limited to one of them or all of them?

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I use about three different ones(school, work, and home) but all experience the same problems

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I will admit that this issue puzzles me but I'll see what I can do.

Take a look at this. Are you using Address Book as a means of tracking birthdays in iCal?

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, just use iCal by itself with no other programs utilizing it or syncing with it but yeah it confused me too, just boiled it down to believing it is a bug and hoping Apple will notice it. Thanks for all your help, are there any calendar apps you use or would recommend? I don't really like the internet based ones like google and would like something I can download. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Are you syncing your calendars with an online service by any chance? I'm syncing mine with Google Calendar and sometimes if I create an event in iCal and then move or delete it right away, it will pop back into its original location. ......

This only happens if you edit the event right after creating it. If you create an event and realize there is a mistake, wait a second or two before fixing it so that iCal and your online service are in sync.

Hi Vansmith I'd be very keen to hear your experiences of iCal - gCal syncing.
Does it actually sync properly?
And maybe you can post something here to help out some struggling comrades please? :Shouting:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.