anything faster than handbrake?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 8GB Airport Extreme w/2 250gb Seagates Fusion 3 w/Windows 7
I have used it, and while it works it seems very slow. I am running it on a MBP 2.26 w/4gig and plenty of disk. I don't mind paying for an application if the benefit (speed and ease of use) is there. thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
It would help to know what exactly you use Handbrake for as it has several different uses.

OP
Gottcha9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry...copying DVD to the Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
Do you want a full copy of the DVD (I'm assuming this is going to be a legal copy without any copyrights) including menus, chapters, extras, etc., or do you want a to convert into a video file?

For a full copy, go for Mac The Ripper.

For DVD to video conversion, Visualhub is the only other alternative to Handbrake I can think of off the top of my head. Don't know how it compares in terms of speed though.

OP
Gottcha9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just trying to convert movies that we own, so I can watch them while I travel. I guess for that I don't need any of the extras, just the main movie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I doubt it's faster, and it has nothing to do with how much RAM and processor speed, Kev. It's more the limit of how fast your computer can read data from a spinning shiny circle inside it. If it were up to the Mac, it'd have that data over a SATA connection and be done with it way quicker. Unfortunately, you've got to get the data from the DVD. Which means.....

Sloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Maybe try unchecking the 2 pass encoding box, then it'll be half the time!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Let's just say, uhm... for example, most of Steven Seagal's movies do not have copy protection, and on my Win 7 HTPC I can move 4.5GB from disc to hard drive in 7-8 minutes and 7 GB in 10-12 minutes. No, there is nothing I've seen in OS X that can touch it.

And before this thread goes too far and has to be closed, please read:

Mac-Forums.com - Announcements in Forum : Movies and Video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I doubt it's faster, and it has nothing to do with how much RAM and processor speed, Kev. It's more the limit of how fast your computer can read data from a spinning shiny circle inside it. If it were up to the Mac, it'd have that data over a SATA connection and be done with it way quicker. Unfortunately, you've got to get the data from the DVD. Which means.....

Sloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Maybe try unchecking the 2 pass encoding box, then it'll be half the time!

Ok cool. Yes didn't think about read times.
Maybe if you drag the pre-encoded files to the HD, and then encode them it would make a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If space is not an issue and you just need to get the movies off the DVDs for traveling, then MakeMKV is the way to go. It doesn't compress the video data or otherwise modify it… just extracts it and puts it in the MKV container. You just need a player that supports the MKV container. VLC and Mplayer OSX Extended both will play them. VLC has a tendency to crash if you try to do things like zip forward, but it better handles some files than Mplayer does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Ok cool. Yes didn't think about read times.
Maybe if you drag the pre-encoded files to the HD, and then encode them it would make a difference.

Handbrake is actually just about one of the best converters out there, but MPEG2 to h.264 is a slow conversion process, even on very fast machine. Even my 3.2ghz Quad Core PC converts at about 90fps, so a two hour film still takes 20 mins.

Converting to mp4 would be much quicker (although the file size would either be much larger or the quality much lower).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.