The iBook G3: Why was it such a piece?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
So as I do so often, I pull my iBook out and see if it'll magically start. It's a 700MHz Radeon model, one of those with the crappy video board. Well, mine has some other problem. It just won't power on. Once every... maybe year or two it'll come on, but that's a special treat.

It's apparently a common problem, and was caused by one of two things: Bad power board or a bad power button.

Bad power components, bad button, awful Radeon cards that popped from heat. Really, what was Apple thinking? On top of that, the things are a nightmare to repair. I had a 600MHz Rage 128 model and its hard disk went bad twice. Same on my blueberry 300.

Was there a curse or something on the G3 iBooks, or were they seriously just designed to be pieces of junk? I've always wondered personally. Those things have made me wary of Apple 'books ever since even though I know better :(

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
Oh, the ibooks were a dream to open and repair compared to some of the newer models. And each generation seems to have its own issues...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My last generation G4 iBook has been reliable. 4 years old now and it's never given me one issue. About 2 years into owning it I replaced the smaller 40GB hard drive with a 120GB just because I needed more room without an external. I also maxxed out the RAM. Otherwise it's been a great machine.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
I wish I'd held out for the G4 instead of getting the 700 G3. I'd still be using it now.

Sad-sad!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Some of the earlier G4 iBooks had a video issue caused by a solder joint on this one chip lifting. It could be easily repaired if you were good with soldering small contacts and have good eyes, but it was an issue that affected many of the older G4 books though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.