Mac mini with mini display to vga adapter problem

the

Reaction score
Hello.

I have recently bought a mini display to vga adapter and it worked great until today.

What happens is when I connect the Mini display-to-vga-adpateret in the mini-display port the screen (on my primary display) goes completely blue in a little while and then come back to normal in a little while, and so it continues. When I go to System preferences -> Display and viewing display profile that is under the Color tab, then I can see that I get another profile added, but this appears only in a half a second, just before the screen goes blue .

It worked perfectly right to start with. When I connected it the first time it was set to Mirrored so I got the same screen on both the primary monitor and secondary monitor (tv). I then turned off mirroring, since I wanted to extend the desktop to the TV. (and it worked perfectly, until now)

My setup is the following:

Mac mini
Mini display to vga adapter
VGA cable
Ultimate 2000 AX Converter box (DealExtreme: $34.99 UltiMate 2000 AX VGA to Composite Video Media Convertor Box)
And a video cable from this converterbox to my TV.
(and I have a decent screen that is selected as the primary screen, this is running in 1920x1200 resolution if that would have a say)

I first thought the problem was the converter box, but when I disconnected it from and ONLY had the Mini display-to-VGA adapter connected to the mini display port on the Mac mini, I experienced exactly the same problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what might be wrong here? What should I do to make it work again?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1st thing to do is disconnect every cable & adapter and reconnect - always the first step.

Try re-booting.

There has been a firmware update for Apple's mini displayport to VGA adapter. If you have not installed that update,might check to see if your adapter requires it.
Mini DisplayPort to VGA Firmware Update

Still not working, it may have died. I'd suggest heading to monoprice for your next one. You should try to verify it's also not the VGA cable itself, but I'd wager it's the adapter.

OP
T

the

Reaction score
I've tried rebooting and reconnecting cables.

I tried to install that driver updated, but it wouldnt work; "The updater could not find a mini displayport to vga adatper to update." When my adapter was connected with a vga cable to my primary monitor this time.

Thing is also, when I ONLY have the Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter connected, without any VGA cable connected. Then the screen turn blue for a second and turns back to normal, almost like its finding a new display and setting it up, but it countinues over and over again. So I'm wondering if it has to be my adapter then? Or if it is normal to behave like this when there's no VGA cable connected to it?

Reaction score
Same problem here

Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue using the minidisplay to vga port.

I'm trying to connect my MacBook Pro to a 226 Samsung display.

It is constantly looping to find the display and every now and then I see my desktop background only to disappear half a second later.

When I insert the vga adapter without attaching the screen, my macbook screen turns blue for a second and then back to normal.

I downloaded the patch, but when executing it says that it cannot find an adapter.

I tried connecting it to another screen, and strange enough the adapter works fine on that other screen, but still ... the patch says it cannot find an adapter.

Has anybody found a solution for this? I see problems with it all over the place.

Greetings,

Kristof.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This makes the 4th external monitor issue in the past 24 hours just in this forum - it also makes it number 4 for... guess which brand of TV/monitor...

No, really... go ahead and guess...

Sorry, but if it's working on another monitor, just not on your Samsung... my only suggestion is to call Samsung. Oh, and I really do wish you good luck there. They have the worst customer service in the industry. My guess as to the first words out of the techs mouth, "We don't support Macs".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.