FrontRow falsely flags video as bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I have a bunch of videos (tutorials, not hollywood stuff) in DVD format that I access with Front Row. it works fine, just like a virtual DVD jukebox. However, since these are reference "manuals", I don't just sit down and watch them from front to end with a bowl of popcorn. Lots of rewinding, fast forwarding and chapter skipping goes on.

Sometimes, when trying to find a particular section, I apparently get ahead of the program by too many clicks too fast. The program will lock up for a few seconds, then drop out to the desktop. Sometimes it will also happen when it apparently finds a bad section of the video. Front Row will apparently flag that video as unplayable and will never access it again. If I select it, it will load for a few seconds and then drop back to the desktop. There is nothing actually wrong with the video, since it will play just fine on the other Mac DVD players - Front Row just thinks it is bad.

I can rename the above unplayable video to something else, and then Front Row is happy to play it. But if I rename it back to the original, it won't play. Front Row obviously keeps a database, or equivalent, somewhere since it always remembers the last place you were viewing on EVERY video, no matter how many you might have on the Mac.

Anybody know where the database might be, or how to reset it, or even delete it so it can start fresh?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
try moving the frontrow preference file to the trash - don't empty yet

located in Users / your user / Library / Preferences / com.Apple.frontrow.plist

log out and back in - see if that does it for you

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
try moving the frontrow preference file to the trash - don't empty yet

located in Users / your user / Library / Preferences / com.Apple.frontrow.plist

log out and back in - see if that does it for you

Had to wait till I blew another DVD. (Turns out that I didn't have to wait. I could have just checked if all the bookmarks went away.)

But... Nope, didn't bring the flagged bad video back. Plus, all the bookmarks are still present for the other videos, so that file isn't the database.

Still looking.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.