• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Microsoft employees hide their Apple iPhones from managers LMAO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Had to post this ... I think its a crack up.
Would be like asking Holden Employees NOT to drive Fords around ...

MacDaillyNews

Im still laughing :D:D:D:D:D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a close friend who works for Microsoft and he loves his iPhone. So the article does not surprise me at all.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reminds me of a job I just put in a bid for this past week.

The building rules were included in the bid package. I'm paraphrasing here, but it stated:

No Coke products are allowed in the building by any employee, worker, contractor, sub-contractor. Coke products are not allowed in any vehicle entering the property including delivery trucks, etc.

The job is located on a Pepsi campus.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No Coke products are allowed in the building by any employee, worker, contractor, sub-contractor. Coke products are not allowed in any vehicle entering the property including delivery trucks, etc.

What do you think though bob, is it a bit over the top in this day and age ??

I mean with the article i supplied, if these people are office workers, the outside world wont see the Microsoft people using them, so thee isnt any real advertising there, saying "I as a MS employee like and use a iPhone, go and buy one." ???
It really baffles me, and yours not to have any even in the delivery truck, just seems to take the cake ...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
is it a bit over the top in this day and age ??

If you've ever worked in the corporate world...especially for large consumer products companies...they are VERY loyal to their own brands...and VERY "anti" their competitor brands.

Examples:

- No Coke at Pepsi (no Pepsi at Coke)
- No Maxwell House Coffee if you work for P&G (former owner of Folgers)
- No Burger King at McDonald's
- No Pizza Hut at Domino's
- and the list goes on & on

I'm not sure how things are these days...but I would guess driving a GM vehicle at Ford would probably not be "encouraged"!;)

The whole philosophy is loyalty to your company & brands...even if the competition may be better.

Still pretty funny about folks at Microsoft hiding their iPhones!:) A cell phone is really not something you can leave at home so your co-workers don't see it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
When I was about 15 and working at McDonald's, I used to go to Burger King or Wendy's on my breaks in my uniform hahaha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I work for the German company Bosch - we make powertools amongst other things

Most times contractors turn up to do repair work carrying Makita Powertools, but they are not marched out of the site

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not sure how things are these days...but I would guess driving a GM vehicle at Ford would probably not be "encouraged"!;)
I see where you're coming with the other ones but that one is a little harder to enforce or "encourage". A coke or a lunch are temporary in terms of the course of a regular day. Cars on the other hand last a lot longer. I'm sure there are many GM employees driving non-GM cars and I'm sure there's not much the company says. ;)

When I was about 15 and working at McDonald's, I used to go to Burger King or Wendy's on my breaks in my uniform hahaha.
Same here. Worked at Tim Hortons and got lunch at other places.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well yes I can understand this. You shouldn't be using your direct competitots products at youw work place. And about the GM thing. It only really matters in the Holden Vs Ford thing here in Australia. If you own another brand of car they don't care.

Reaction score
I think they should focus on how their competitor are advancing in their industry and that should be the motivation to improve on their own products.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see where you're coming with the other ones but that one is a little harder to enforce or "encourage". A coke or a lunch are temporary in terms of the course of a regular day. Cars on the other hand last a lot longer. I'm sure there are many GM employees driving non-GM cars and I'm sure there's not much the company says. ;)

I definitely understand where you're coming from regarding the "temporary/permanence" aspect of an automobile...and of course the Ford company is not going to "officially" ban the ownership of non-Ford vehicles.

But it's the "reading between the lines" looks & innuendo's you might get from co-workers & managers is where the "peer-pressure" is applied!:(

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Absolutely, I agree. It's a very different kind of pressure. Coke may explicitly ban Pepsi products but GM might "implicitly discourage" non-GM products, especially for upper and middle management (it might even be explicit for these guys and gals).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Coke may explicitly ban Pepsi products but GM might "implicitly discourage" non-GM products, especially for upper and middle management (it might even be explicit for these guys and gals).

EXACTLY!:)

And what you said about middle & upper level managers (as you may know or have experienced)...it can be very surprising what sort of "soft" measures go into the evaluation for promotion!:(

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EXACTLY!:)

And what you said about middle & upper level managers (as you may know or have experienced)...it can be very surprising what sort of "soft" measures go into the evaluation for promotion!:(

- Nick
I'm in my 20s and still a student so, no, haven't experienced the upper management thing yet. ;)

I can only imagine what goes as "unsaid" in a promotion.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm in my 20s and still a student so, no, haven't experienced the upper management thing yet. ;)

I can only imagine what goes as "unsaid" in a promotion.

No I wasn't suggesting that you were in the "upper management" category.;)

But I'm sure you have been in situations where someone else may have gotten a promotion, a better position, a pay raise, or even got the job you were interviewing for, etc. more because the boss or manager "liked" them better...and it had nothing to do with their "skill-set" or abilities.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I wasn't suggesting that you were in the "upper management" category.;)

But I'm sure you have been in situations where someone else may have gotten a promotion, a better position, a pay raise, or even got the job you were interviewing for, etc. more because the boss or manager "liked" them better...and it had nothing to do with their "skill-set" or abilities.

- Nick
You saying I'm not upper management material?! :p

I can't honestly think of a time anyone has gotten a job over me and I've known who they were. I'm sure people have (having been declined employment before) but I've never known the people to take my place so to speak. I'm sure I will encounter someone who will get the job over me because of their relationship with the company and/or their products.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't honestly think of a time anyone has gotten a job over me and I've known who they were. I'm sure people have (having been declined employment before) but I've never known the people to take my place so to speak. I'm sure I will encounter someone who will get the job over me because of their relationship with the company and/or their products.

And this can happen to the best of us mate ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.06 c2d, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
If you've ever worked in the corporate world...especially for large consumer products companies...they are VERY loyal to their own brands...and VERY "anti" their competitor brands.

Hey, I was a contractor at the Chrysler Tech Center in Michigan for 12 years. Anyone with a non-Chrysler vehicle had to park in the boonies. :Grimmace: It only took me 3 years of sludging through the snow and rain before I got a Chrysler vehicle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
It has nothing to do with expecting loyalty and everything to do with image. If a company cannot even convince it's own employees that its products are the best, then how can consumers have any confidence in them?

Incidentally, I am sure if Jobs saw someone wandering around the Apple campus with a Dell or a Nexus on, the proverbial would hit the fan quick enough.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.