Music Files - Arranging in OSX for iTunes

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time arranging my music files in OSX. I have music stored in all different locations on my Mac, and thought of arranging it all in the iTunes folder - so can I simply move it there?

Also, What's the best way of arranging it - a lot of folders are initially by Artist, then sub-folders by Album - is that how iTunes stores them?

One more - I'm running out of space on my Hard Drive - and a lot of my music files are not yet imported on iTunes. If I import them, is that basically copying them again (I'm afraid I'll run out of space if it dumps another 100 albums somewhere on my Mac)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
The only way to have iTunes arrange the files for you, is to drag and drop them over the iTunes window.
This will import them to your iTunes library, and arrange them by artist and then album, provided they are all correctly tagged.
Now, this will make copies, yes, so you will need to delete originals once done, so take your time and do one at a time, to make sure you have them in iTunes.

OP
D
Reaction score
OK Thanks. But in which folder does iTunes copy them - so I know which ones not to delete?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
iTunes library, in the music section on your HD.
Macintosh HD>User>Music>iTunes>iTunes Music.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks - it's working a treat - though I'm sure it will take a few days.

Is it a similar process for importing Pics into iPhoto?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks - it's working a treat - though I'm sure it will take a few days.

Is it a similar process for importing Pics into iPhoto?

Yes, very similar indeed. But iPhoto give you options in preferences to sort out how you want them organised. i.e: by date, roll, etc. so it is more customisable in that respect.

Reaction score
iTunes now has a feature called "Consolidate". This will do as said above but delete the original files for you.

Hope it helps, you may need to download the latest update

C

chas_m

One note about iPhoto (and iTunes) -- if you wish to make changes to your Library (such as deleting a "roll" of photos or let's say an album of music) -- you really MUST do this WITHIN the respective programs.

iPhoto and iTunes do a GREAT job of managing your files, but they really want you to keep your filthy mitts OUT of the library files (in a "manual" sense of the term). Do whatever you want to the files WITHIN the program, but DON'T use the Finder to manually manage things. BIG mistake that will probably result in lost data.

Reaction score
Can you create multiple libraries in iTunes? For example one library with all my albums, and a separate one with my wife's albums? I dont want to mix hers with mine... thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Kind off, you have have multiple libraries but the songs are still all managed in the ~Music/iTunes/Music folder.
While holding down the option key open iTunes and create a new library with a name to differ from the other and import her songs from the ~Music/iTunes/Music folder.
Then whenever you want to use yours/hers hold down the option key on opening iTunes and select the library you want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.