iPad will just be fad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I on the other hand have a netbook, and I think Steve Jobs was absolutely right when he said that they aren't good at anything, other than being portable.

I agree with you and Lord Jobs totally. Many netbooks I've used that are less than 2 years old have troubles with HD video streaming video and other basic things. But the ipad supposedly can do these things very well. And for the same price as a netbook, it's a no-brainer really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
When netbooks first came out I thought they were a complete joke and a fad. Why would anybody want something so underpowered and with such a small amount of memory? But that prediction turned out to be dead wrong. Turns out there are tons of people out there looking for a simple alternative to high-powered expensive computers. It really seems like the rise of netbooks and smartphones is what gave rebirth to the tablet idea.

I definitely don't see iPad hurting Touch sales significantly. They're different enough in feature and price to keep them separate. That's why I decided to be an early iPad adopter. The software is already proven, and I don't think Apple can do a major price drop because that would price it too close to the Touch

I just pre-ordered the 32GB WiFi iPad, now here are my reasons:

1. I sold my Kindle DX on ebay for $395 (I really liked it for reading on the treadmill)
2. instead of taking my MBP with me on work trips, I can do everything with the iPad
3. iPad will be easier to watch movies in the plane if person in front of me reclines
4. taking work laptop and MBP was too heavy, this will lighten my load

I love Apple everything, so it wasn't too hard of a sell for me. Selling the Kindle was what made me actually made me do it.

I can't wait til 4/3!

2, 3, and 4 are exactly what I'm excited about using the iPad for. I've been kicking around the idea of getting an MBA because carrying my MBP on trips is just too heavy and cumbersome for my light computing needs on the road. But the iPad pretty much fits my needs exactly. I'll probably also take it to the office for browsing in my spare time off the company computer and away from the eyes of Big Brother.

I'm also going to be using it around the house. Currently I have a 65" TV in my living room I barely use because I spend a lot of time at my desk browsing while watching a little 20" TV. I've used my MBP in front of the big TV soemtimes, but it's heavy, combersome, gets hot, and the battery runs out too fast.

I always wished someone would make a kind of touch screen only thin client I could connect to my home computer for remote use, but the iPad takes care of that and more! I'll probably even download one of those remote access apps so I can even access my home computer while in another part of the house, or across the country: basically giving me the power of my MBP in my iPad.

Can't wait for the 3rd!!

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for such a interesting discussion

Wow, it was such a interesting discussion to read!! I have learnt more about iPad and its uses from this thread than any other source. Really thanks for all these information.

If you ask my view now, I think that iPad will not become a 'must have' like a TV or a radio, but still to many it will be a item they will not leave their house without!!

p.s. sorry for the mistake :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Wow, it was such a interesting discussion to read!! I have learnt more about iPad and its uses from this thread than any other source. Really thanks for all these information.

If you ask my view now, I think that iPad will not become a 'must have' like a TV or a radio, but still to many it will be a item they will not leave their house with!!

You mean without ;P

I would be interested to know how you are going to explain this statement.

He was being sarcastic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
The iPad will probably be successful, but not for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - 320 GB HD, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, + Magic Mouse

1. I sold my Kindle DX on ebay for $395 (I really liked it for reading on the treadmill)
2. instead of taking my MBP with me on work trips, I can do everything with the iPad
3. iPad will be easier to watch movies in the plane if person in front of me reclines

I love Apple everything, so it wasn't too hard of a sell for me. Selling the Kindle was what made me actually made me do it.

I can't wait til 4/3!

I couldn't agree more. I'm in the process of selling my Kindle 2 on eBay, and I will still make a decent profit off of it. I doubt the market will drop completely for the Kindle. Look at everyone on here who is anti-iPad.

And I can not stress enough how much 2 and 3 made the decision for me. For 3, I actually took a flight yesterday, and sitting in the cramped seat trying to watch a movie on my 13" MB when the person in front of me reclined was not fun.

For 2, I usually bring my laptop to school. I have a textbook online, so I find it safer to bring with just in case. Now, with the iPad, I can bring something lighter and use that instead. I won't be annoyed when I found out I brought my laptop with for nothing. And, with the addition of iWork, if I need to edit a paper, no problem.

My only complaint is that I ordered the 64gb iPad wifi+3G, so I have to wait a while to get my iPad. :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

I can't wait til 4/3!

Me too, while I don't do traveling for work I do plan on using the iPad as a go to gadget for many of my other devices which will now require me to only carry ONE device. I also predict many college students doing the same. This will be much easier on the back than a bigger laptop.

Reaction score
PadNotes allows PDF editing on iPad

Speaking of which, I was thinking of using the iPad taking note itself. Will there be a stylus you can use for that. I really want to bring my .pdf technical documents I have and write some notes in the side spaces. Will that be available....and actually saving the additions?

jom

Stylus - no, there is no need for one with a properly designed iPad app.

Pdf Editor as you describe - yes there is an iPad app for that.

PadNotes.
YouTube - PadNotes iPad app preview

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Padnotes looks pretty good. Already takes care of a lot of the issues people brought up saying the iPad will be horrible for productivity. And the fact that people have barely had time to make apps and the iPad isn't even out yet means that it's only going to get a LOT better! :D

Reaction score
I suppose you need a stylus to use Padnotes efficiently...

I would completely agree with that. My finger isn't super tiny and for that much precision and writing it would be much more natural and accurate.

I am partially reserving judgment on the ipad to see what its final capabilities really are when the rubber hits the road so to speak. But from what I have seen I don't see how anyone actually working from the road could use this as a replacement to a MBP. Thinking of how much typing and PP I create on the fly it would seem very cumbersome to have to work that way.
I think my biggest stumbling block is how to classify this product and what its purpose. Its clearly not a computer in the traditional sense (not in a good way). Its even more crippled than a netbook. Is it an ereader, okay I could see that but wow seems way pricey for one.
I could totally see the use if it could do two primary things, allow me to share and edit docs on the desktop easily and most importantly multitask. Perhaps they have figured out a way I haven't seen yet on the import/export docs with iworks for the ipad. But the one that really leaves me scratching my head (and imho likely cripples its usability greatly) is no multitasking. I am not asking it to run excel, word, surf, itunes and adium but I don't think its unreasonable to ask it to run itunes and adium while I surf the web. This also greatly limits its ability to be a couch computer because while relaxing I surf and chat with friends. Throw on top no built in cam and even multitasking abilities aside its missing a basic feature found on the cheapest of netbooks. I don't think I am the only person who uses a computer like this and I think its partially the reason netbooks gained so much traction.
So I guess I am not apples intended market for this one, even though I usually am (young, educated, and comfortable fairly insulated income). But to be honest besides the kindle owners or college kids with online textbooks I don't know who is the intended market. Perhaps things have changed dramatically but when I was in college a few yrs ago an ipad would of paid for lots of ramen.
Please don't take this post as apple hating. I own many of their products and am genuinely trying to understand why so many on this forum are so excited about this product.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do remember one thing and I am not jumping on your post. The iPad is not billed as a Laptop replacement but an in between the iPhone and a Laptop. If you need everything a Laptop can do and are going to do extended typing on the road, then to me a Laptop would still be needed. It really depends on the user and what they do.

Like you said though, lets wait till it's released and in the hands of the public for a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air - 128 GB SSD, 2.13GHz intel duel core, 2GB Ram
Travis, i'm not sure there is a gap between laptops and smartphones that needs filling. I have a feeling it's going to be apples zune. Once the initial hype and frenzy buying dies down and the realisation that people generally dont read enough books to make buying a $500 ebook reader worth while sets in i wouldn't be surprised if we find very few average users owning one and those who do own one hardly ever using it.

It's limited uses are evidenced by normal users talking about nothing but the book store and analysts talking about how it will be great for watching movies on a flight, as if everyone spends half their life jetting around the planet while craving a dose of Ave ventura - pet detective.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What I said was exactly what Jobs said about the iPad and where it comes into the picture. That is Apples own words about what the iPad is. In between.

Also no Ebook reader has a word processor, Spreadsheet, Internet, Web, Mail, Chat and all the iPad will do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air - 128 GB SSD, 2.13GHz intel duel core, 2GB Ram
What I said was exactly what Jobs said about the iPad and where it comes into the picture. That is Apples own words about what the iPad is. In between.
Yeah, they called it "the third device". It seems like more of a fifth wheel though.

Also no Ebook reader has a word processor, Spreadsheet, Internet, Web, Mail, Chat and all the iPad will do.
I'm just going by what those who love it say they are going to use it for. Which is apparently read books on it and watch movies on planes. I'm sure most people wont be doing much word processing on it, most people don't do much word processing anyway, and as for email and chat, well the smartphone excels at that kind of thing.

If people are getting an ipad they almost certainly already have a laptop and a smartphone and i can't think of a single thing which the ipad could do better than either of those. Unless of course you suddenly get the urge to do only one thing at a time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do know that multitasking is coming in the next release of iPhone OS. At least that is what everyone seem to be saying.

For a lot of things the screen size of the touch and iPhone is way too small. The screen on the iPad will make a large different for those uses.

Reaction score
Yeah, they called it "the third device". It seems like more of a fifth wheel though.

I'm just going by what those who love it say they are going to use it for. Which is apparently read books on it and watch movies on planes. I'm sure most people wont be doing much word processing on it, most people don't do much word processing anyway, and as for email and chat, well the smartphone excels at that kind of thing.

If people are getting an ipad they almost certainly already have a laptop and a smartphone and i can't think of a single thing which the ipad could do better than either of those. Unless of course you suddenly get the urge to do only one thing at a time.

I can see using it on planes. The battery life is great and would certainly outlast my 15 inch MBP. But this is somewhat negated by the fact that most flights (at least my experience lately) have had power connections at the seat so I can watch a movie with my MBPs bigger screen and still arrive with a full battery. I fall into the group kbox describes I already have the iphone and MBP and have a hard time justifying this product. So far the ipad looks like a jack of all trades but a master of none. It would only add weight to my bags.
I truly hope your right dtravis7 that in the next os update it ads multitasking as it seems the processor is able to handle several things at once. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.