Adding AirPort Express to Existing AirPort Extreme Network

Reaction score
I am having problems adding my newly purchased AirPort Express to my already existing AirPort Extreme network. I want to add the AirPort Express to my second floor so I can give my X-Box 360 and Sony BluRay player internet access through CAT5 connection to the AirPort Express.

Here are my computer specs:

1. Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
2. Memory 1 GB 677 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
3. Mac OS X Version 10.6.2
4. AirPort Extreme Version 7.4.2 (Working Properly)

I installed the cd software that came with the AirPort Express on my Mac Pro and plugged the AirPort Express into a plug located approximately 3 feet from the AirPort Extreme. The AirPort Express blinks green once, then turns steady amber for approximately 1 minute then turns to a blinking amber.

I went into the Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility but nothing happened and the AirPort Express wasn't recognized on the left hand side even though the Airport Extreme was displaying properly with a green light.

AirPort Extreme Specs:

1. Channel: 1
2. Wireless Security: WPA/WPA2 Personal
3. Connect Using: Ethernet
4. Status: Normal

I attempted to do a manual setup on the AirPort Extreme. First I clicked on the wireless tab and set the Wireless Mode to "Participate in a WDS network". Then I clicked on WDS tab and set the WDS Mode to "WDS Main" as I want the AirPort Extreme to be used as the Base and the AirPort Express to be used as a remote.

I clicked Allow wireless clients and wanted to add a AirPort ID for the WDS Remotes but if the AirPort Express isn't recognized or showing up how am I supposed to obtain the Airport ID?

I followed the step by step instructions found on Apple.com (Using the AirPort Admin Utility to create a WDS network with multiple base stations) but when I got to step 8 I was stumped and couldn't really proceed any further since the AirPort Express wasn't being recognized.

I then connected the AirPort Express to my AirPort Extreme using a Cat5 cable to and restarted the computer.

I reopened the AirPort Utility and it showed the AirPort Express on the left hand side with an amber status along with the AirPort Extreme with a green status.

I went through the same process as stated above and added the AirPort ID from the AirPort Express to the AirPort Extreme "WDS Remotes".

I repeated the process on the AirPort Express but instead I changed the WDS Mode to "WDS Remote" and added the AirPort Extreme's Airport ID as the WDS Main.

I then saved updated everything and restarted my computer.

Still no luck, please help before I start throwing things off bridges!!!!

Thank you kindly in advance and I hope I included all the pertinent information.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Airport ID on bottom of Airport Extreme

The Airport ID or MAC is printed on the bottom with the serial number on your Airport Extreme and probably the same on the Express (which I don't have). My WDS is based on Time Capsule and Airport Exttreme Base.

You have to input the Airport IDs/MAC Address for the WDS to recognize the base and remote units.

Reaction score
Can't connect a client to Airport Express Through CAT5

I learned this the hard way. You can't connect a client device (like a PS3) to the airport express and get network access. The ethernet jack on the Airport express is only for incoming network connections, meaning it's to connect a modem to the Express to create a wireless network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.