RAID with LIAN LI ex-50 doesn't work

Reaction score
hi there,
having decided to go for an external raid system I've found the Lian LI EX-50 which houses up to 5 drives.
I've put 2 seagate barr. 1.5 TB and 2 seagate barr. 1.0 TB in and now the trouble starts.
when I power it up, it shows all four drives mounting( green lights) for like 10 sec.
then with a short blink of red 3 of them go out and one stays on.
this is the one that mounts on the desktop.
the others dont show up at all.
I'm on an OWC internal ESATA adapter and my other ESATA disks that I occasionally connect through that all work perfectly fine.
also the software that comes with the EX50 (JMraid setup) says <no drives or raids found>.
could it be that I need a port multiplier or something like that?
any Ideas ?
cheers
stephan

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't really know anything about the device and the owners manual is not that great either. I would ask:

have you tried clearing the RAID
what RAID setting are you using
have you activated the RAID setting

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I should have said the owners manual bites. I'm out of ideas with no leads from there, the Lian Li site and the only Lian Li forum I found is closed.

Looks like you may have to resort to contacting their tech support. Getting into the electronics side instead of just being a case manufacturer, tech support is probably still new for them. Good luck. Here's their contact link.

Only other thing I can think of is removing and reinserting the 3 drives that are not staying green once started up. Since you're starting with raw drives anyway, you might try 1 additional drive at a time with RAID 0 or 1 just to see what happens.

Reaction score
Hi to all, and greetings from Athens.

I've attached a Lian-Li EX50 using the (supplied) PCI-X1 eSATA card, and was able to use it with Snow Leopard. From what I can tell, the key issues are as follows:

(a) if you plug it into one of your eSATA ports, you have to make sure it's port-multiplier-compatible

(b) if you use the supplied eSATA adapter, which is based on an old Silicon Image chipset, you have to install the Snow Leopard Sil3132 drivers and then do some simple plist editing

There is a writeup describing the steps involved on my blog.

Myself, I'm pretty happy with this product.

Hope this helps.

Xen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.