• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 09 - rendering issues (travel globes & maps)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac i3 3.06Ghz, 4GB Ram, Snow Leopard 10.6.4
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I seem to be having with iMovie 09.

I have a core duo iMac 1.5Gb Ram running Snow Leopard.

The problem I have seems to be related to rendering the travel globes and maps. When my movie is being exported and the process is complete the maps/globes are not rendered how they should be, half of the globe/map is coloured differently to the rest. This is a clean cut line down the middle of the globe or map and is not dissimilar to a "negative" effect. ie one half of the globe is perfect but it is cut down the middle and the other half is a totally different colour to the rest which is very visibly split down the middle.

During these map sequences the backgrounds/red travel line and destination are not affected in anyway - they have been rendered correctly.

I have tried to remove the globe sequence from the timeline and reapply again (with and without using different maps) but the effect is still present.

When previewing the movie within iMovie before exporting this problem does not occur but it does happen when I preview fullscreen (this is hit and miss, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't)

oddly enough none of the theme transitions or any other transitions are affected it is only the travel globes/maps.

This rendering issues also occurs no matter what file format I try to export the movie to.

When exporting the movie i am not doing anything else on the Mac it is left to render/export on its own.

I am unable to get a screen print to show the effect as i am at work so i hope my explanation has been ok. I've included a link below to show you the globes/maps that are giving me problems as an example.

http://www.johnmagill.ie/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/whatsnew_travelflow_20090106.jpg

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

** note I also seem to be getting this problem when creating a photo slideshow in iMovie - random slides (photo's) are all washed out and Blue/Orange seems to be a culprit colour...ie some pics are all washed out and look like they have had a blue/orange filter applied. same scenario as described above/

have had alook on apple support forum - seems to be a problem with iMovie and snow leopard. some people who have had the issue have installed leopard/tiger on an external HDD and the problem has disappeared. Although these threads are old and would have thought the problem to be ressolved with the latest updates

I have run software update many times and all updates are installed - have also deleted caches but this has not helped

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac i3 3.06Ghz, 4GB Ram, Snow Leopard 10.6.4
Have managed to get a few screen captures - this issue only occurs in iMovie. cant get my head around it.

the 1st 2 pictures were taken when i was previewing a photo slideshow in full screen mode from iMovie 09

and the 3rd picture is an example of the globe/map rendering issue.

Screen shot 2010-03-12 at 21.33.26.jpg

Screen shot 2010-03-12 at 21.26.27.png

Screen shot 2010-03-12 at 21.25.15.png

Reaction score
i am having the exact same problem. I'm running snow leopard with a 2.16 core 2 duo and 2gb ram, same issue. no idea what the problem is or how to fix it, i've tried everything i can think of. any help would be much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.