Mac upgrade success !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Octo 2.8Ghz / Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz
I just wanted to share with you my recent good fortune.

I bought a late 2008 Quad 2.8Ghz Mac Pro in january, inside I noticed that there
was a free processor slot :)
Of course, Apple wanted "life changing" amounts of cash for a new procesor, so
I picked up a guaranteed working "pull" from Ebay for £129.
Heat-sink came from VIZ in the UK and cost more than the processor !!

I fitted it two days ago and it worked perfectly from first "boot" :)

That dispells the myth that this model only has one processor slot then !

It's a monster and is working very well indeed.
Peace,
Marty.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That dispells the myth that this model only has one processor slot then !

First of congratulations on upgrading your Mac Pro from a "Quad-core" to an 8-core". Not many folks have done this...and for those that want to do it, have a hard time finding a decently priced 2nd quad-core processor to "pop" in.

The motherboard from the factory is setup to accept TWO quad-core processors. It was possible to order (custom configuration) one of these 2008 Mac Pros with only one 2.8ghz quad-core processor:

"Via custom configuration, this model could be equipped with a single 2.8 GHz Quad Core Xeon E5462 processor, two 3 GHz Quad Core Xeon E5472 processors, or two 3.2 GHz Quad Core Xeon X5482 processors."

Mac Pro "Eight Core" 2.8 (2008) Specs (Mac Pro Early 2008, MA970LL/A, N/A, MacPro3,1) @ EveryMac.com

I think that the only combination not mentioned is 2 x 2.8ghz quad-core processors.

Thus the former owner of your computer simply purchased it with only one 2.8ghz quad-core processor. I'm not sure where this "myth" you mentioned about this Mac Pro model having only one processor slot came from.

In any case...a BIG congrats on the upgrade!:) Pretty cool...and even better you did it yourself!!!:):)

- Nick

OP
MartyMart
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Octo 2.8Ghz / Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz
I'm not sure where this "myth" you mentioned about this Mac Pro model having only one processor slot came from.

In any case...a BIG congrats on the upgrade!:) Pretty cool...and even better you did it yourself!!!:):)

- Nick

Thanks Nick :)
When researching the details for the upgrade, I came across posts here and elsewhere, when the question was put for an upgrade on these V3,1 macs
that there was not a second "slot" .... that's all ....and as soon as I opened it up
there it was :)
The upgrade is not for the feint hearted though ,,, the Mac was in "BITS" !!
Without the apple service guide, I would not have been able to easily handle
the "twists and turns" to get all the parts out in one piece !
Very happy man now :)

Marty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.