• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Hi Res audio and macbook

Reaction score
Hi noob here, having a problem getting hi res music files to play in hd. My macbook has optical toslink and USB out. Presently using optical out to my DAC which has optical, USB, coax and BNC inputs and will recognise flac, wav, 24/96, 24/192 etc.
I have several hi res files in itunes, audacity and songbird, some have been converted to wav and info shows they are held as hd files. Problem is my DAC shows that they are not being output as hd so I'm only hearing 16/44.
Can anyone help, please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Unfortunately, you're kind of in the wrong forum topic - this is Movies and Video, I think you probably wanted to post in Music, Audio, and Podcasting - Mac-Forums.com which is where you'd be more likely to find the audio experts that would probably know this stuff off the top of their head or already have references to good resources....

But after doing a google search on 24 96 iTunes, there were many links including this one:

itunes and hi-res music | AVguide

and

24/96 Player for Mac besides iTunes - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

It looks like you need to convert the files into Apple Lossless if you want to get that level of playback through iTunes, or in some of the other links, they talk about itunes able to convert/use FLAC audio.

I'd suggest doing some google searches like:

24 96 itunes - Google Search
apple lossless - Google Search
apple lossless converter - Google Search

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
No worries, we don't bite too hard ;) It's not that I didn't want to help - more suggesting where you might get a better response, honestly, I know nothing about hires audio, and the most I've learned was from those searches I had done to see if I could understand what you were having an issue with :D I'm sure you'll get some quality help from the audio gurus!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.