Iphoto & Raw

Reaction score
When using iphoto to upload Raw pictures does Iphoto automatically convert my Raw shots to jpegs?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I don't know if this answers your question or not, but the conversion is automatic on upload--not sure if the actual file is stored as a jpeg. If you drag a photo out of an event to your desktop it appears as a jpeg.

C

chas_m

Assuming iPhoto supports your camera's version of RAW (there's no such thing as a "universal" RAW format), then yes and no.

iPhoto automatically makes a JPEG *copy* of the RAW photo, but the original RAW file is still stored -- it's just never touched. All the edits and such you do are to the JPEG copy.

There are alternatives photo managers/editors/etc for people that want to keep the RAW files more accessible to them (ahem). But bear in mind that RAW shouldn't be worked on directly -- one should always convert to TIFF or some other lossless (or lossy if you like) format before tweaking/editing/etc.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Assuming iPhoto supports your camera's version of RAW (there's no such thing as a "universal" RAW format), then yes and no.

iPhoto automatically makes a JPEG *copy* of the RAW photo, but the original RAW file is still stored -- it's just never touched. All the edits and such you do are to the JPEG copy.

There are alternatives photo managers/editors/etc for people that want to keep the RAW files more accessible to them (ahem). But bear in mind that RAW shouldn't be worked on directly -- one should always convert to TIFF or some other lossless (or lossy if you like) format before tweaking/editing/etc.

Not my thread, but thanks for your answer. I wondered after I saw the OP's question--I have done a few RAW imports (mainly playing around) but I wasn't sure exactly how iPhoto was handling it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.